Getting a horse??

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So. I am am actually thinking of maybe getting a horse. I would obvs need to sort out livery etc the one am thinking of is DIY and would only cost me about 170 per month, roughly. Now i am 'young' as in 19 and it would be my first horse. Currently I do work part time and live at home but I could easily go onto full time or more hours atleast. Plus I have an interview to get onto the bank soon.

The one thing that is putting me off, is that I am hoping to go to uni either this year or next. If i was to get a horse I would stay at home. Though part of me really wants to, I could afford it DIY at that yard I am thinking of on my current wage. But uni is the thing that is putting me off. Since I am hoping to go to uni is getting a horse a wise idea?? I don't know ..

Anyhow lol. Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Honestly? Wait. Decide what you are doing with Uni then decide whether or not to get a horse. Horses cost a lot more than just the livery. Go to Uni, get a fantastic job and then get a horse when you dont have to even consider worrying about money :D

You've got years ahead of you. Good things come to those who wait and it'll be all the more worth it then. The experience of uni is one that you'll want to completely immerse yourself in. I know there are folk who have horses and go to uni, but with the financial climate being the way it is, I'd wait until you're a bit more secure money, time and focus-wise so that you can give a horse your all.

I am 20, so your age too, so can understand your situation.

If I were you, I would put off buying a horse because as you know, they are a big commitment and if you are contemplating Uni, then you can't be 100% and to buy a horse, particularly your first, I think you need to be 110% sure and ready.

As others have said, there is plenty of time to get your own horse in the future, even after Uni, so maybe finding something to share/loan or even just ride whilst you are at Uni (even though it's super exciting to think about getting a horse! :happy:) will be a better option.

I haven't owned my very own horse yet only loaned, and even though I live in my own place with my OH, have a car and we both have jobs - I still feel not 'ready' financially as horses cut into a big part of your wages, especially with bills and other things to pay for - so would rather wait until my wages go up, and feel I have the money to be able to spoil my horse and afford them comfortably, there is so much more than just the livery to pay for unfortunately! :smile:

I agree with what's been said: getting your first horse and going to uni are both great experiences, and you shouldn't spoil them by trying to do them both at once! That would be pretty stressful. I know people have done it and been happy, but it means that you're going to be constantly torn between your studies and your horse, with no time for fun or making new friends and having a social life.

Much better to do get the degree first, enjoy it, maybe get a good job and then get your horse.

Personally I'd say wait.

Get yourself set up first and save the money to go towards uni costs and then getting your own place.

Added to that, I found uni hard going with trying to balance that with working and home life. The uni fell to the back of the priority list.

I always said had i NOT had a horse when i went off to uni, i'd have ventured further afield. It was because i had two that i went to a uni close to home. I seriously would get uni done and out of the way and then think about buying a horse :)

Personally i would wait, i work for a uni and also study at the moment part time.

Even living at home Uni can be expensive and you need to bear this in mind along with how much time you will have, especially as coursework can take up a lot of it.

I too would wait tbh..............why don't you look for a part share or even a loan until you make your decision.

Whilst I understand the yearning to own a Horse at 19 its 'crazy' to think of missing out on Uni and all that Uni offers..........you have a LIFETIME to own a Horse. I was 34 before I actually owned my own.

University will open up so many things for you, moving away from home, independance and will hopefully open up more jobs for you in the future with a higher income which will then allow you to fulfill this particular dream :wink:

I do part loan at the moment, though there is a pony at the yard that I am very interested in, however so is the YM! Plus I would be able to afford it on DIY with what I earn now. However I might not be going to uni for another year or two.

Last edited:
newrider.com