German Martingale - Jumping safely

Nixey

Feb 19, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario
Visit site
I am actually posting this message hoping for an expert opinion. I have recently purchased a german martingale for my 10yr old Hannoverian whom I have had for six years. He's always loved to keep his head up high and jerk at the bit. I find this device works very well, and like it much better than using draw reins. I have however tried it not only on the flat, but also over small fences, no more than 2 1/2ft. I had been led to believe that it was a good training device for jumping young horses, or in this case a quick horse who likes to put his head either way up or way down. I do not want to be doing my horse any harm and therefore wish to get an expert opinion on how to use this properly, or if I should be using it to jump at all. I always make sure to give my horse alot of rein when using the german martingale over fences and he's slowed down ALOT since his head is kept in the right position for me to have better control than before. I don't feel as though it's affecting him in a negative way. The only reaction I get from him that I worry about is that when we land off the fence he seems to get a jerk in the mouth, but i feel it's because he's always had a habit of landing with his head really low to the ground-getting ready to lean on the bit(perhaps grab the bit) and run. Do you see this as a negative sign, or perhaps a positive sign? Please help!

Last edited:
If he lands with his head really low, then he is not actually balanced over the jump. You need to work on balancing him up to and over the jump. If he's getting snatched in the mouth, take the martingale off.

Actually, I agree. I recently bought a new saddle cause my other one of SIX YEARS I finally found out was built crooked-and I thought it was ME the WHOLE TIME! This has left my horse and I stronger on one side, seeing as that's the side I shifted my weight to in order to compensate for the crookedness of the saddle! Even though my horse is VERY well balanced when by himself, it does make me wonder if that's the problem when jumping. I find it very difficult pushing my horse to use OUR weaker side more by using my stronger side to push him over-therefore only making it stronger! Grrr....any suggestions on THIS problem? I find I always lose my stirrup on my weaker side(Right) as well.

He needs to bring himself up in front, support himself well behind, and be well-balanced front to back. This is accomplished by strengthening the back and by asking for balance on the way to the jump (half-halts). There are several posts currently discussing strengthening the back.

If he's very lopsided I'd work on that before trying to get him to carry himself well.

gee none of these replies answer your question and I found it bc I have the same one. I just ordered a German martingale and have never used one before but have the same problem ie a horse that wants to rush and stick his head up and pull and running martingale only helps a little with that. I was wondering if it is safe to jump in the German one over big jumps. Do people do it?
As far as your horse landing with his head low- what is he like with a pole on the far side of the jump a half stride out or in one stride combos? It is so hard to say what is going on without seeing it. Would be great if you could post a clip. If you feel him getting hit in the mouth then he most likely is. Does it feel worse with the martingale on or only with it on? Seems to me that if he lands with his head low he is just trying to balance himself and you don't want the martingale interfering with that. Possibly use a pole or small jump on the landing side to get him to land further out and look up to the next obstacle and also see if he is better over oxers and try widening the jump so he bascules more. Maybe he is just not very scopey and you can set jumps and poles to improve that.

@dericcardi the replies do answer the question, but by addressing the cause of the problem rather than ways to hide it. Realistically if there is a lack of control and balance that needs to be sorted out before jumping, particularly bigger fences. As to whether it's safe for jumping bigger fences in I'd say no for two reasons - one you need to sort out the problem that makes it necessary, and two I don't want anything restricting the head and neck over a large fence.

Did you realise this post is nearly 18 years old? It's far too late to be asking questions of the OP or giving them advice!

Reactions: Jessey
I think this happens (that old posts are found and answered or continued) because NR posts or archives are on the internet in a format which makes them public and also makes them an easy find for a Google search when an equestrian question is typed into google.
It has happened two or three times lately and I dont know if this is due to some technical alteration. Being a top choice for search engines increases traffic for advertisers.

I can see how it happens at that they may be useful if someone is looking for information, but I don't understand why people don't look at the date and realise that there's no point replying to the OP. If they don't take in something as basic as that it makes me doubt the value of any advice they give.

Reactions: Jessey
Really @Jane&Ziggy ? Makes me wonder how fully they read the rest of the post then. Mind you with the advice some people give maybe they don't read posts properly either.

Carthorse you come across and prob are such a total know it all self-righteous bitch that I don't care to be exposed to people like you on this forum.

@dericcardi the replies do answer the question, but by addressing the cause of the problem rather than ways to hide it. Realistically if there is a lack of control and balance that needs to be sorted out before jumping, particularly bigger fences. As to whether it's safe for jumping bigger fences in I'd say no for two reasons - one you need to sort out the problem that makes it necessary, and two I don't want anything restricting the head and neck over a large fence.

Did you realise this post is nearly 18 years old? It's far too late to be asking questions of the OP or giving them advice!
NO they dont and I would not be resorting to a german martingale if I had not already exhausted all the obvious thing you point out like you are some kind of expert or something!

Carthorse you come across and prob are such a total know it all self-righteous bitch that I don't care to be exposed to people like you on this forum.
Calm your tits crazy lady :oops: Carthorse is both (a) a long-term, respected member of this forum and (b) an experienced horsewoman who gives lots of good advice and has taken the time and effort to write many thoughtful and constructive posts over the years. If you donā€™t like her comment thatā€™s fine but you donā€™t have to be a knob about it:rolleyes:

@Jane&Ziggy I have warned @dericcardi about posts like that, but have left it there so people can see the situation and also to avoid deleting @joosie 's thread or stopping it making sense. If people would rather I deleted it I can, just let me know.

ETA plus "calm your crazy tits" made me laugh, no mean feat before I've had coffee!

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
@Jane&Ziggy I have warned @dericcardi about posts like that, but have left it there so people can see the situation and also to avoid deleting @joosie 's thread or stopping it making sense. If people would rather I deleted it I can, just let me know.

ETA plus "calm your crazy tits" made me laugh, no mean feat before I've had coffee!

Please don't delete @joosie's 'calm your crazy tits' post, love it! I can't wait for an opportunity to use that phrase šŸ˜

newrider.com