german hackamore

Snow_Pony

Jul 19, 2007
Sussex
I ride my horse in an english hackamore which he goes well in, but can be a bit strong, also the steering isnt fantastic. Thought about giving the german hackamore a go but heard its A LOT harsher?? I'd like to try it but dont want to frighten my poor horse! Can anybody whos tried it give me some feedback on what its like etc? Thanks! :)

There is a lot more pressure on the german hackamore than english because of the extra length of the shanks.

Have you looked at the happywheel/LG bridle?

the happywheel (same thing, different name) can be bought from robinsons

http://www.lgbridle.com/

It allows you to customize the pressure on the nose,chin and poll by buckling the straps in different places.
It mostly acts as a sidepull when no pressure is on the reins,so steering is slightly better (although IMO the head shouldn't be used for turning) and then when pressure is applied to the reins the pressure is applied to nose, chin and poll.

I use one on my hw cob who was ridden in an english and german hackamore before, and my ex racer.

Ditto.

Like a bit, a hackamore is only as strong as the hands that use it ... but be careful, it is a very strong piece of equiptment so go easy on it while you learn what works eith your horse, and as he gets used to it.

:)

xx

Thanks for the replies, feel better now about trying it and less of a monster! I have tried the happy wheel but really didnt have a lot of control, it was only his good nature that let us stop and turn I think!

newrider.com