Gelding mounting my mare should i be worried?? (sorry bit graphic)

a+e

Jul 3, 2007
suffolk
I have recently let a paddock out to a friend who has a horse and a little mini shetland gelding and all was going ok until a couple of days ago...:rolleyes:

I also have a horse and a 3 yr old mini shetland (mare) and so thought it would be nice for the little ones to eventually be kept together in the same field.

They were kept next to each other for a month and seemed to be fine so at the weekend we put them together. They got on fine, i kept an eye on them and did everything gradually at first.
Now, i started noticing that the gelding kept trying to mount my mare ( he used to do this with the other gelding he was with too) but i thought maybe he was just a bit excitable at having a smaller companion with him and he would calm down.

However, it got worse and worse to the point of him constantly following my mare around trying to mount her until yesterday i actually saw him 'doing the business' properly:eek: obviously i quickly seperated them and am not putting them back together. The thing that worrys me is (sorry to be graphic) but he was actually 'dripping' from his bits after this and my friend said she also saw him doing this earlier in the day too.

Now correct me if im wrong but i always thought a gelding couldnt do this??? so im a bit confussed and slightly worried:rolleyes:
Ive never had geldings but i have noticed with him that even before he was put with my mare he was very randy, always had his willy out and often mounting the other gelding despite being constantly told off by other horse.

My friend had a vet out a while back and told her of his frisky behaviour but when she checked, albeit very quickly, she said he was gelded, so i dont understand this behaviour:confused:

Should i be worried?
Any advise welcomed:)

Last edited:
he could be a rig (only one ball removed) or he might have been gelded very late. Or he's just randy!

There was a gelding at the RS I used to go to years ago and he'd a crush on a mare and would mount her every chance he got!

he might have not long been gelded either? Whisper the horse I share was gelded a couple of years ago quite late in life (about 7 I think) and even 4 months after the opp he was still trying to mount anything going! :eek:

He still quite terratorial over mares now but doesn't seem to have the urge to mount anymore! :cool:

Im just worrying now that there might be a chance that he might be able to reproduce if he wasnt gelded properly:confused:

Hes only 3 yrs old and im not sure at what age he was done.

We have geldings that go all the way, they tend to be Shetlands and Icelandic geldings, and I KNOW they are geldings as I have thrown the bits away.

To put your mind at rest you could get a blood test done if you really cannot say for certain that they are not a rig.

My friend bought a gelding who turned out to be a rig now her mares are due to have foals in the next week or so. :eek:

If there is any chance the 'gelding' has penetrated your mare get the vet out as they can inject the equivalent of the 'morning after pill' to avoid any prospect of pregnancy. they can also check your mare for any injury.

Our young geldings will sometimes try to 'mount' a mare but generally get it toatally wrong such as going to the side of the mare etc! If this horse is showing more than this seperate them immediately. (sorry just reread you have already done this!)

Jasper sometimes tries to mount Jen although as eml has said he doesn't really know what he's doing, tends to just stand with his feet on her bum and looks around stupidly :rolleyes:

I'd get his ownder to have him bloodtested at least she'll know too that way

Yes the injection is a good way to be 99.9% certain you won't end up with a foal. We had to use it twice, when a person put some colts in a field next to our mares.....one got out and covered 3 of them.....TWICE! After telling us he was moving him! We moved our mares in the end!He got sent the bill!

newrider.com