Gelding at 11 too old???

J

jaydevon

very small chance i may be swapping pluto for a pre... lol stunt horse.. dont ask about that bit...

i dont know if he has ever covered, iv ebeen told hes been stabled by mares etc.

so as the title, do any of you have experiances of gelding later in life??

before any of you shoot me down, its just a question i may not chop hes bits off!

yes :)
my cousin horse was gelded at 15
he was abit of a nightmare when he was gelding, but i think mainly to do with his previous owners
they starved him until he served so he was really greedy with his food and no one could go near him without being double barrelled in the chest :eek:

not his fault really!!

now, he is the sweetest BIGGEST bloody lump ever :)
xxxx

Yes! Cheyenne was gelded at 9 years old.

He was a sweety but everything had to be done on his terms. He was immensely strong for a 14.1hh lightweight cob x tb and had a gorgeous crest to his neck.

He had BAGS of character though, everyone who met him noticed that, he really fancied himself, loved to show off and was rather impatient. Vet put all that down to being castrated later on in life.

Not sure if he had ever covered as he certainly knew how to mount but I only caught him doing it a handfull of times! *is now wondering if there are any baby Cheyenne's out there and how cuttteeee they would be*

Jay would you ride him spanish style and do spanish walk etc??

an old horse I had was a stud horse until he was 8ish. Then was gelded..

He was a gentleman, and never attempted to mount mares or show stallion behaviour or tendancies. He was a 16.3hh ShireXandulsian and a big chunky lad.

It does of course depend on the horse itself but I have not come across any ex stallions so far that have been overly a problem

wow! :D

we had ours gelded at 10 years old (last year) and he had covered lots of mares up until then.

he was never bad to handle, but is much more laidback now, and content.

*wishes it would load quicker..........*

ahhhhh I think Pluto is beautiful but this one is WOW..... I love stallions too..

Couple of things about PRE's, would you keep him in all the time like the do over there? I would make you grow his mane long and poncey (lol) and when does he arrive so I can come and see him!!!

Oh another thing (ME AGAIN!!!) what is his breeding like? As if he has good full PRE lines I would keep him entire and make some money off him.. If you have the capacity to do so of course!

Yeah, mine was done at 14, he never looked back, but he was always a very easy going stallion.

will you lot stop!!! i couldnt keep him in all the time as he has copd... but i have plenty of fields to let him out..

ive no idea about hes breeding, only on second email, i may call tomorrow, ive also told the guy what im looking for, so may be of no use,

i have no intrest in breeding....

i wouldnt chop hes bits off he was something special, id think twice about having him in the first place, but if hes run of the mill then yes i may consider lopping them off.,

and yes pluto would be fab for them that sort of home would suite him, and as he does tricks already hes half way there!

Please buy him and then put me in touch with one of the YUMMY men at extremehorseriding.com WOW almost prettier than your future horse! ;)

pmsl... its daniel ive been dealing with and that ive invited to come and see pluto.... wanna day out>?

my lord ace. put your darn tounge away.... thanks guys for the SENSIBLE answers :D

Haha mine started off sensible... oops!

Let us know if you're gonna go for it, he'd certainly be interesting, would be good way to bond with him learning tricks with him!

newrider.com