Gee, thanks, No Angel....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
I went and did it, didn't I? Poo-picking today and I really DID think "That's a nice poo" :giggle: ..... see what you've started!!!!

Don't! I said to hubby that having swapped to my summer field I've slipped so smoothly back into counting poos to see if they need to have more grass rather than relying on judging by eye.

COUNTING poos, JC???

What's the going rate then? :giggle: (literally!!)

Another who notices the 'perfick poo' :giggle:

I`ve read somewhere that 12 poos is about the norm ... (one every 2 hours or so) anything down to 5 is ok, (but really that`s too far on the lower end) anything more than 14 usually means the horse is getting too much food lol ... and yes, i count and keep an eye on the amount my 2 do as well !!

We count too - 36 - 40 in 24 hours for 3!!

And yes in the summer we know if anyone isn't pulling their poo picking weight - 85 -90 for 5 in 24 hours - the day I got 125, words were had!!:redcarded:

picture.jpg

Tilley muck spreading! She didn't like how that one was placed then.
I do notice as it is a sign of their health, it takes about 3 days for food to go through, so her hour of grazing will greet me tomorrow, probably green ones.

Last edited:
COUNTING poos, JC???

What's the going rate then? :giggle: (literally!!)

Ooo now you've got me on another pet subject! I apologise in advance.

Last week I could have sworn that my 2 didn't have enough grass by looking at it. It turned out that they were eating it as quickly as it grew, rather than there not being enough grass. It was just the right amount.

This week was drier and the grass growth slowed down as a result so I needed to give them more. When it grows again due to a bit of rain I can react on a daily basis to restrict or increase the amount of grazing they have. No need to wait for a difference on the weight tape.

The going rate in my very rich fields is 8 poos per 24 hours. Any more than that and I consider restricting their grazing, any less and I need to think about allowing more. I've discovered the optimum amount by trial and error over the 5 years on this field. If I moved fields I'd need to reassess the optimum number of poos. As Littles gets older and less of a good doer I'm open minded about whether he needs more. If Joy's workload dramatically changes I'd have to reassess.

It also helps that I can easily tell which pony did which poo and keep a tally of how many each do and their general health.

newrider.com