Games or fun things I can do with my horse?

jsr

Dec 6, 2004
Visit site
I've never followed any specific school of training, I'm more of a gut instinct type of person and prefer to train my animals in a quiet and relaxed manner. Both my dogs and my horse I will happily spend hours with trying to communicate on their level what I'm asking them to do. I certainly don't follow the 'whip and spurs' methods but prefer to ask for something rather than demand.

Anyway my point of the post is, I've reached a level with my horse now. He's been a long work in progress but I feel now I'm perfectly happy with how he behaves and we have a great deal of fun together. I'm a happy happy hacker with no real aspirations, I'm hoping to take part in a novice BHS Trec day next month, but other than that I'm not a competitive person and we enjoy jumping just for fun.

What sort of games and fun things could I do with him to keep the boring winter nights interesting? I'm really lucky to have access to an indoor school but literally 5 minutes in and we're both bored and goal-less!! I've been laying down sheets etc for him to walk over, but he's such a good boy he usually takes all that in his stride. What else can I do to make our time together productive and exciting? I don't necessarily have to ride, I'm perfectly happy just spending time with him.

Thanks so much.

Sounds like you and your horse are getting along fine and having a lovely time. Nice to hear :)
Why don't you start preparing for the Trec obstacle section. Look on Trec websites then try and replicate the obstacles e.g low branches(you get more points if you go through at a canter), S shaped pole corridor (go through forwards and backwards), bridges, gates (you get more points for style)etc.
That way you have goals but its still fun. :D

Oh blimey...s shaped pole thingy backwards!!!!!!!!!:eek: We don't do backwards!!! Right I've definately got a goal now!!

Cantering under branches no problem...he think's that great fun cos it makes mum squeek!! And he'll certainly do s shape forwards cos he's very agile for a big lug.

Will have to work on the backwards milarky!! Thanks will look at the Trec site.

If I remember rightly isn't there a part with two poles about a foot apart that you also have to canter through if you can.I remember watching one event when they did this and all the ponies and thoroughbreds had a hard time and fluffed it and people were saying it was too difficult and then along came a lumbering clydesdale like horse and cantered through it perfectly:D
You could also ask him to walk over a dummy without treading on it (If you don't have a dummy maybe you could find a friend to volenteer;):))

Go to a charity shop and buy a pair of mans trousers, a mans shirt, a pair of socks and a pair of gloves, a gap or hat and a thin beige jumper or t-shirt.

Take them home, sew up the front of the shirt, the socks to the bottom of the trousers and the gloves to the ends of the sleeves. Stuff thoroughly with crumpled newspaper, straw, hay, shavings, old supermarket shopping bags ... whatever. Then sew the shirt to the waistband of the trousers.

Now cut a huge circle out of the beige jumper, run a gathering stitch round the edge, fill with crumpled newspaper etc and draw up the gathering stitch. This will make a HUGE ball, Of course, if you have a spare beachball or similar, you can wrap it in the beige material.

Sew this to the neck of the shirt, and draw a face on it.

Put the shoes on the socks and the hat on the head.

Now lie him on the ground and jump OVER ;) ;) him, or sit him in a wheelbarrow or a garden seat, or just prop him up with a beanpole. Make two of him and walk your horse between them or prop them up each side of a jump pole as if they are holding it ...

just remember that unless he is stuffed with polystyrene beads (anyone got old beanbags?) or other plastic-y stuffing, you will need to bring him in during wet or damp weather, or he will go soggy and mouldy very, very quickly.

Last edited:
more fun

In an enlcosed and safe place. (riding school or round pen) try filliing a large dustbin sack full of 'bubble pack' then tie it up safely to make a big soft ball. Then walk in front of your horse with the horse on a 12tf line following behind you. (Head collar - or pressure halter if you understand how to use one.) (Keeping yourself between the ball and the horse at all times!!!-otherwise the horse might knock you over.) Gently dribble the ball in front of you, allowing your horse to run to the end of the 12tf line in his attempt to "escape". You must appear to be nonchoant at all times and ignore his fear. This body language will convey to the horse that you are very brave. Then the horse will soon understand that he too can be brave. The horse will soon start to follow quietly behind you. Then you kick the ball with a little more gusto. When he accepts this, then you start to kick the ball all over the place, with the horse gently following you. When the horse volunteers to go over to the ball and he touches it with his nose,- make out that this is no big deal- do not make a fuss or reward. Then you can ask him to push the ball for fun. You might even be able to teach him to dribble the ball with his fron legs. :)

newrider.com