Gallops is giving me confidence and my horses

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I think having my mare on the gallops successfully and her being such an angel in all respects at this new yard (heat plays a part lol) and starting to ride out with them on the gallops on their horses is giving me such a confidence boost it will help me handle my own when have a "moment" :smile:

I was saying to hubby last night that I never thought I would be on the gallops with them and was watching from the side lines thinking wow look at them, in awe, wishing I had that nerve more than anything as they make it look so easy and seem always in control with no fear (not realising it is the fitness thing is more the issue haha) :giggle:

As Ive got older I have conf issues never had in the saddle when younger and although itching to have a go at something my nerves stop me and I am convinced I am incapable of it. I think cos I have done it and enjoyed it so much and doing it again whoop whoop and now telling my usually grit your teeth and get on with type hubby not to be nervous when he has a go that I am going to be less nervous at shows of what mine are capable of if that makes sense??

Only thing I have to achieve is our lanky on the gallops haha as he has to learn to not bolt and he is a big lad. Hubby has had a hairy ride or two on it so far so our next approach is to go out with horse from yard who knows the routine of steady lap and stop at gate lol whereas mine didn't so raced each other first time and next time he wanted to do same again. :giggle:

He was stuffy in the arena as fed up being schooled and now he has blown off the cobwebs he is more forward and keen yet behaving which is nice to see. Madam has blown off the cobwebs and is calmer and less spooky :cloud9:

That's so great to hear!

I remember being in a similar place a few years back, I moved my pony to a different yard where there was tonnes of hacking and people quite regularly went for fast hacks and also competed, so "fitness" for both horse and rider took on a whole new meaning for me.

My confidence really started to develop when I started going out for long hacks where there were good gallop stretches, I think knowing you can go that fast and still be in control, or being able to sit still just before letting them go, all means that when they do have a "moment" it actually feels no different (or sometimes slower!) than when you do it on purpose. I think it increases your own perception of your competence, which always helps!

I agree totally and think now when mine have a moment bombing off I wont be as worried and if bolt on gallops or in open space I will just think sit there til they run out of steam cos I can stay on at speed :wink:

Being able to ride in a racing saddle and sit to bucks in it has made a big difference to me too cos I always swore profusely that my dressage saddle armchair kept me onboard my mare when she plunged and rodeod and then was nervous on our big lad in gp as thought not as secure if he messed around but now I know I can sit to it and my balance is good according to the others :bounce:

newrider.com