Gaited Horses Anyone?

LuvMyGaiter

Nov 12, 2004
Visit site
Hey All,

Just new to gaited horses and am loving it. Trying to absorb as much info about em as I can.

I found a great site www.gaitsofgold.com that has a ton of training articles and information about the breeds. I've already signed up for a clinic with Brenda Imus to work with my horse.

Anyone else find anything that might be useful?

Also, my TWH tends to throw his head a lot. Any suggestions until I get to the clinic in the Spring?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!:p

Any horse, whatever his gait will chuck his head about of a number of reasons, the usual being tooth trouble, saddle and bridle fit.

We have Icelandics which are supposed to do Tölt and pace as well as all the usual gaits......but it seems some of them can make things up as they go along, Like tranter ( a cros between trot and canter with a bit of tölt thrown in) Trölt, that's trot and tölt together, and then there's what they do in moments of extreme excitement, placing feet down at random as fast as you can! otherwise known as drumroll!:D ;) Piaffe in pace is hysterical, Hákons speciality!

Gaited horses are wonderful to train, never two the same.

Thanks so much Wally!

I can agree with the fact that no two horses are alike (gaited or not)!

I emailed Gaits of Gold and they suggested that I check for teeth first since that may be underlying problem as well.

Then they suggested I check the comfort of his bit, and I think that's the problem.

I am going to try their Humane Mullen Mouth Bit because I 've heard from many people that it works wonders.

I'll let you know my progress.

Thanks again!

newrider.com