Further update - instructor sat on him

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
I need to talk more to her - I have a lesson in an hour - but essentially she had good and bad things to say about him.

Negative/Food for Thought
- He's VERY stiff right
- He did the same thing with her as he had with me - shot into canter and she found it difficult to stop him - made her wonder if he has pain in his back somewhere
- Stiff on his right hind
- No lateral work established (despite what the woman selling him had previously said)

Positive
- His saddle doesn't fit - so a properly fitting saddle would help his back hugely
- He's well put together - nice conformation
- He's well bred and has been brought on slowly
- He has huge potential - the paces are there and he has a scopey jump
- He has a fabulous temperament - kind and trainable and willing
- He's sane/not silly

She reckons if we buy him he'll need a) physio; and b) schooling. I anticipated the latter, but not necessarily the former (although with horses it's always a possibility). I'm going to go ahead with the vetting this week but make the vet aware of my instructor's comments and ask him/her to go over the horse with a fine tooth comb. We'll also get a back x-ray done.

Am I mad for continuing to consider this horse? My instructor can school him for me . . . she's an excellent trainer. He was good as gold when my daughter tried him b/c she didn't ask any difficult questions - pootled around in walk, trot and canter. Jen (my instructor) and I asked him to come onto the bridle and he resisted by going into canter. He goes beautifully for the woman who is selling him on behalf of the owner with no (outward) signs of tension or resistance - so it could just be that he's sensitive/green. Hmmmm. Thoughts please?

Just to remind - he's a 16.2hh 6-year-old Warmblood/TB/Welsh Cob cross.

Thanks in advance,

N

He sounds really nice and the positives outway the negatives which is good.
Be interesting what the vet picks up at the vetting, hopefully nothing serious. Re the stiffness and badly fitted saddle the two can pretty much go hand in hand.
The fact he shoots of in canter would suggest some discomfort either in his back or maybe over and down his hindquarters.
What is he like cantering on the lunge without a rider, is he noticeably less stiff and less inclined to bomb off?
Do you have any pics of him?:):)

If he's got the basics and has a genuine temperament then I would go for it as long as you are ok with the schooling. He sounds lovely!

I'm with the others here. Sounds like the problems are fixable. Just make sure your vet is aware of these things and checks them out thoroughly.

Whats your heart saying? Sometimes you just "know":D

newrider.com