Further to TC's weight problem - we're moving yards....

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
As you may be aware my horse TC is massively overweight, we have tried to keep a grazing muzzle on him but he keeps getting them off (or someone is taking them off), I also have a driving pony on loan that doesn't need to get any bigger and has had laminitis (one bout of) in the past.

My boys live out 24/7, 365 days a year. The yard I am at is an ex-dairy farm and the grazing is very rich and very fertilized. The fields look like someones lawn and the farmer will randomly top whilst the horses are in the field and/or move them onto a field with fetlock deep grass without any notice.

TC is not losing any weight at all so last week I asked the YO if I could electric fence (at my expense) an area (I was thinking about 100mx50m) so that my two boys could live in there. They refused outright. The reasons were that I would need more than one area in order to rest one part while the other was grazed and they don't have space (they have 40 acres!!) and (more to the point I feel) that they're afraid it would set a precedent & they'd "end up having 18 individual paddocks".

So I was left with one morbidly obese horse, on whom I can't really keep a muzzle as he either gets them off, they are taken off (lots of walkers through the fields) or he becomes sore & a laminitis prone pony out in 15 acres of dairy pasture.

Although I am happy at the yard (the people are mainly ok, good hacking, walking distance from home, aestheically pleasing) obviously - for the sake of of my boys I have to look for somewhere else.

So, I have been offered a place at a new yard - but it is so scary making that leap, and I was so happy at my current yard despite the odd silly rule and hiccup. I keep telling myself that if I don't move it is going to drastically shorten TC's life - he is arthritic as it is.

I did some pro's & con's to help me decide so thought I'd let you see them too:

PRO'S:

* Small set-up: barn/stables & grazing rented off farmer by 3 friends.
* Two acres to myself to do with as I please (so would strip graze).
* Fab hacking.
* Stable (just one) - so could bring in to dry, etc.
* Organic.
* Grazing is quite poor, perfect for fatties.
* Girls seemd lovely.
* Kid friendly - one of them has a child & they were very happy for others.
* Dog friendly - they all just run around (but not in a bad way).
* Secure tack room (currently have to keep tack at home).
* Undercover storage for my gig (currently is out in open).
* Area to school in year round.
* On chalk so little mud in winter.
* Away from electricty pylons, current land is criss-croosed with them.
* Nice pub nearby!!

CON'S

* Limited natural shelter in field - my main concern - the field is on a slope running down into a dip (like a mini valley I guess) - the YO says that the horses that live out have always been fine and never stand miserable.

Here is part of the field I would have:
Grazing.jpg

I'm standing on the top of the slope looking down, it looks hilly IRL!! I could get a field shelter in the future but money is very limited for this!! DH says if I sell TC I can get a field shelter !!

* Pasture looks rough - which is a good thing, but coming from bowling-green-front-lawn-effect fields to this is a bit scary. There is grass there but also lots of clover, dandelion, dock & thistles (no ragwort). The areas that currently have horses on are cropped short grass with the odd dock.

* Having to fit in to the three friends dynamic is a bit daunting.

* Much further from home considering I could (but don't!!) currently walk - new yard is about 8 minutes drive.

So I've ummed and ahhed all week and tonight handed my notice in at my current yard - the YM didn't sound surprised at all.

An interesting development also is that my friend and I saw the YO showing someone who appeared to be a buyer round the yard & land this morning, they had been rumours a while ago that the yard was for sale, so it seems I might be getting out at the right time....

What do you think about the new place? Any moving tips?

CurlyWurlyRach said:
No tips im afraid but im moving soon too, also as my horse is obese and needs more managed grazing so i'll be keeping an eye on here to steal your tips!

best of luck sarah and TC!!!

Seconded on both counts, although mine isn't obese, we're down to 5kg overweight. I need better facilities to get him any lower and to avoid another near-lami scare like we had this weekend. Hardest part is finding a suitable yard.

Good luck!

I think the new place sounds good and you should go for it :cool: . I would think the slight slope to the pasture would be a good thing--may get muddy at the bottom, but the uphill bits should stay drained.

Good luck whatever you decide!

At the end of the day it is going to be best for both of your horses and thats what matters if current YO doesnt like it he should have let you have your paddock! If the slope faces north it will be slightly better than south I guess for now and for the winter you could hopefully have saved enough for your own shelter. As for the grazing quality the weeds are the price you pay for organic I'm afriad. If you think that looks rough you should see ours and all our horses bar one 30yo lad do fine on it! 8 mins drive isnt really much considering you don't walk now anyway. Good luck

You've done the right thing Sarah..... look how much longer the list off GOOD points is to the bad...

Don't worry too much about lack of natural shelter in the field... our yard has no shelter in any of the fields... there are no trees... YO doesn't like trees as she says that you get more flies in the shade and it's true... there are not a lot of flies in the fields but ride round the lane through a leafy glade and the horse-flies dive-bomb!! If you have a stable, you have somewhere your boys can take turns to shelter in heat or poor weather - it all sounds very good. I'm sure it will be a good decision for you.....

Think of it this way - that field could be great for a bit of a gallop up if you are feeling brave!!

just trying to brighten the situation!!

good luck sarah, hope the move goes well and we shall see pictures of a sleek, healthy TC within a few months!

Hills are good exercise, too :). OK, it may not be a BIG slope, but every little helps :)

Definitely sounds like a good move to me - and the grazing looks pretty good to me, to - your boys will be in heaven with thistles in there (most horse's seem to think flower buds are sweeties :D).

Good luck - hope the move goes well for you :)

Could you build a field shelter out of hay bales ref (if my vague memory serves me correctly) the manual of horsemanship? Kind of a cross shaped wall? Would take alot of hay bales to shelter TC mind! :)

New place seems much better, lots and lots of pros and none of your cons really stand any scrutiny when you consider your horses health is your main priority, and more damage will probably be done by having them overweight than by having them a bit exposed to the elements.

Good luck with your move.

Well you already know what I think, but as I said, yes, go for it.

You'll just need to be careful managing the grazing (as weeds will be a problem) and build a shelter. Bales would do short term but you could build a wall.

Good luck with it - hopefully it'll all work out well.

Pink's lady said:
Well you already know what I think, but as I said, yes, go for it.

Thought I'd put my news on "general release" now it's official!! :)

I realise now that it's because the farm is organic that there are so many "weeds" - I know the boys will eat some; dandelions, thistle and clover - but what do I do with the others? Do I just leave them to eat round them and then pull out?

Nope, you'll need to get the field topped. Otherwise the weeds take over - beleive me, I know! Our fields totally out of control now that it's being over-grazed (too many horses now :() and the new drive being built means we can't get a tractor in.

If you just leave it you'll soon have a field covered in docken and nettle. Only way to stop it is to have the field mower every other month, if not more.

You could either do it yourself if you get a powerful strimmer, but it'd be easier just to get a farmer in to do it.

Sounds great Sarah!!!;)
Seth is losing weight on his field now.The only thing I found was that he went a little tired when ridden,as I think ours is low on nutrients.I give him formula for feet anyway,but a person at Bay Mares yard recommended Baileys lo-cal feed balancer as well.Iv'e bought some and its great as you only have to feed 3 mugs per day and it has all vits minerals etc in.Too early to say whether its doing him any good,although he did manage a longer stint of rocking horse canter,when hacking Tuesday!!!:D
I think the weeds would be handpull,or an organic weedkiller.Maybe better if you put thread in for this to see if anyone uses one?
Have you checked around your area for other opportunities? Just so you can compare?
The only downside I can see to this one is that if someone leaves do you take over paying there share whilst you find someone else? Maybe it wouldn't matter anyway,split between you.
Bestest Luck!!!!!!!!! Here comes TC Lean Mean Fighting Machine!:p
Just seen Pink's Lady's advice re field topping! Sounds more in the know than me :D

Last edited:
Thats great. Hope you guys will be happy there.

In the worst weather you'll find that they will stand at the bottom of the hill as the hill will provide them with a small bit of shelter. Weve got a small hill at the bottom of our field atm, and when it rains, or if its windy, they go and stand down at the bottom of the hill. :)

Good luck, I'm sure that you're making the right decision for your neds :) Can't wait to see piccies of the new, lean, mean TC machine :D ... well, maybe not mean but cute and cuddly doesn't go with the rest of it :)

Dandelions and clover (depending on type of clover) are part of natures larder for horses and do them much more good than harm,so don't worry abouth them eating those.Obviously if you have more weeds than grass that could be a problem!!
What we did with our field that was overun with buttercups was to get sheep on the land,don't know if that an option for you?? They eat everything,and are fantastic for pasture managment in a multitude of ways.We didn't buy sheep or anything just got a local farmer to shove some of his on there (is free grazing for him after all!!) if not topping as someone else suggested would be a quck solution.
The field shelter is an issue I had as well.We built our own,cost about 280.00 and looks fab (that price includes using weatherised,decent timber including feather edging on the outside so it looks nice!!) again,not sure if an option for you,but certainly a cheaper option than buying a ready made one and get to choose exactly how you want it done.
Sure you are doing the right thing and hope all goes well with the move:)

Yes, it sounds like the right decision. As for the lack of shelter, as someone suggested in another thread a gazebo might help, and a wall of hay bales will also work. Just anything that can provide shade but not scare the living daylights out of him :p. Also you could keep him in during the day when it's hot, had you tried this before?

It sounds like you're doing the right thing for your neddies so good on you for considering it seems like the right decision. Ill tell you what though - i wish i had a lovely big field to myself to do with it what i please! How lovely for you :). Go for it, and good luck!

Jenny xx

newrider.com