Further to Holli's owner saying she wants sell - price **EEEEK!!**

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
....I posted a couple of days ago asking what you thought Holli was worth (12.2HH, 5yr old New Forest mare, green, pretty sensible but can be nappy, rolls with a rider in the school and bites) - the general consensus was I should pay no more than £500.

Anyway, her owner has come back to say that she thinks she is worth £2250 and she would accept £1750 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am GOBSMACKED and a bit sad as there is no way we can even hope to afford that for her.

Also feel a little fed-up that she was put out on long term loan just five months ago and now her owner wants to sell. I'm just glad I didn't pay to send her away to be trained to harness as I had considered doing.....

has she justified that price to you? why does she think holli is worth so much? thats a real shame, will she not negociate any more on price?

that is a lot of money for a pony that isn't established in its work, she'll realise that when the pony doesn't sell. (just my opinion).

tell her to go ahead and advertise her at that price, i'll be extremely surprised if she sells. chances are she'll come back to you with a more sensible offer. in the mean time, send her back to her owner immediately, when she is paying livery for her and has to look after her she'll want to sell sharpish. don;t you lift a finger to help sell her without charging the owner for it.

Absolutly agree with Mehitabel. If she wants to sell her at that price, let her try! And in the meantime she can spend the time and money looking after her!

Me too. I agree.
You shouldn't keep riding her & paying livery etc for her if the owner wants to sell. You'll only help her!
Hope it works out for you:)

How much???

Hi Sarah,

I can't believe how much she's askiing for Holli!! What are you going to do? are you going to send her back? Holli is lovely but she's not worth that much!

xx

BLOOMING NORA! HOW MUCH? she is having a laugh isnt she? what did she want? to offer long term loan so you would sort the pony out and then she make a profit, no doubt she will be telling everyone that it has been away to be schooled - with you! I agree with everyone else, send her back, say how much you would be prepared to pay, and dont lift a finger to help sell her!

She'll have a job selling the pony at that price....How can she justify it ?

Yes it's a nice looking pony, but really it's not a kid's pony and an adult will not pay that price :eek: :eek:

Keep us posted to see if anyone is interested...i very much doubt as she's way over priced.

The owner has now e-mailed to say that if we can't buy her then things can stay as they are (and I quote) "for now" - I've replied to say I'm reluctant to allow my boys, the 12yr old that hacks her out and myself to become more attached if she is just going to decide to advertise her for sale in future. I've said maybe it'll be better if she goes back :0(

Feeling sad as she is a sweetie....

Hey hun, In a way i think your doing the right thing.

It's like an emotional rollercoaster loaning horse's. I've seen a few times where the owner come and pick them up with no notice.

If you can afford £500-£700 you should easily be able to get another pony...Possibly a NF ? there are plenty of them down there being either given away or £50 off a field,,,,,Ok there's some work to be put in....but no heart break. Good Luck and hope all goes well.

Sarah-B said:
I've said maybe it'll be better if she goes back :0(
Feeling sad as she is a sweetie....
I know its hard but as the saying goes - plenty more fish in the sea.
horses are going for silly amounts at the moment, even at market. I know someone who was selling an amazing pony, same size and price, but from what I remember it took their little girl x country and up through BSJA, was a wonderfull little fella, great manners, and I thought even he was a tad over priced.

sad though it is it might be best if she goes back, as if she isn't willing to take a realistic price, then you are only going to be more fond of a pony you can't keep. plus by improving her, you are going to increase her value so it's not in your interests at all.

unless you can buy her now, at a sensible price, then there isn't much in it for you and you would be better to devote your energy to a pony you can have a longer term relationship with

Hey you never know she may just be trying it on and may sell to you for a more realistic price, otherwise send her back as you're chucking good money away that you could be saving and putting towards a pony that is actually yours.

MeMe - yes look at that chap - he's done *loads* more than Holli and is bigger and he's a much more reasonable price!!

I would send the Holli back. If the owner intends to sell, the bond will have to break sooner or later and better sooner than having a black cloud of waiting hanging over you. I know it's going to be difficult as you are obviously attached to her, but as others have said, there are PLENTY of ponies out there....

Edit... just looked at that chap in MeMe's thread... wow look at him GO.....

This is always the big snag of loaning, particularly with young horses who you spend time improving and so ironically make more valuable so owner demands higher price just when you are attached!

Been there and paid over the odds but now agree a price I would buy at and first option if the owner ever wants to sell. Not foolproof solution as they can still take the horse away but deters those who think loaning is a free way to get a horse schooled. Because you have children involved however I think I would get out now before you have broken hearts.

Interestingly, I paid £500 for a 4yo 13.2hh mare 18 months ago, who has sweet itch, is traffic shy (although at the time we thought it was just that she wasn't used to it) and is bolshy. I knew her already and thought that was ok, and she is, gradually, after a LOT of work, proving to be slowly getting there, on her way to being a lovely pony. I'd say probably £750? About £1000 less than she's offering, she'll never sell! Send Holli back and save up for your own. You'd have the money in a few months if you saved the cost of her keep!

newrider.com