Further Adventures of Ambatt

ambatt

Apr 24, 2005
Midlands
Tomorrow I am off to ride a Paso Fino - or hopefully more than one. Having an Icelandic has made me a big fan of gaited horses, and if Iberian Horses came in a gaited flavour I would be in 7th Heaven,

Will take the obligatory camera and hopefully some better piccies than of me riding Andalusian stallions :rolleyes:

Pasos way more expensive than current two horses of my dreams (1 x Andalusian stallion 1 x Lusitano ditto) can but dream...

Riding Paso Finos

Well what a day I have had! Today we made the 3 hour trek from the Midlands to Wiltshire for me to ride Paso Finos - and WOW! What a ride!

I was met by Wendy Jeffries who has an obvious passion for her gorgeous horses and who let me ride and play with all of them from the stallion to the babies.

The horse I went to try was a delightful grey gelding called Brillante, who was an absolute little star and a gorgeous, lovely horse - sadly for nervous me he was a little too full of joie de vivre - but what a ride.

The Pasos are incredible to ride - I have never, ever in all my 30 odd years of riding :eek: ridden anything so light and responsive in my life. They are incredible, I cannot describe them, they are absolutely amazing horses and being gaited are fabulous and comfortable. Bliss for aging bones and aching bodies!

The second horse I rode was Latigo whom I fell in love with, he was sweet, calm and I felt thoroughly at home on him. He was also ridden by a 10 year old boy under supervision - Latigo is a stallion and an absolute sweetie and the one I would have taken home with me. :rolleyes:

Guess who was a total numpty and forgot their camera??

Wendy is having an open day and display in August so if you get a chance, go and see and maybe try them - they are amazing! I am very tempted as I have never, ever ridden anything quite like them before.

Horsesaddle - his mother owns Pasos and Latigo is an exceptional horse, except for the obvious you would never guess he was an entire.The boy was under close supervision at all times.

Chapsi - Not sure about Pasos. They are a delight to handle being quiet and affectionate and mannerly. To ride? They are total pocket rockets! I have never in all my life ridden anything so light and responsive ever, they can turn on the spot and even the highest trained Iberian would be given a run for its money by a Paso. They are so light to ride that you feel you don't need reins at all, never experienced that before, even on the one dressage horse I have ridden. They are just so quick, all their reactions are quick and they are really busy active horses - utterly incredible.

I may be offered a Paso on loan - but I need to be very sure as they are so very quickwitted and full of life but so kind too. Technically they are Iberian horses I suppose, just lived in the US for a few centuries :D

However on my top list of horses to buy are:
My Perfect Lusitano (Him!)
Generoso (dear kind forgiving Henry)
The Pocket Rocket Paso

Meet Brillante, Latigo and Capitan

Paso Finos UK

If I was probably very honest :D I am not sure I have enough brio and nerve myself to ride Pasos, but I am going down to try them again.

Perhaps need a Fizz top up :rolleyes:

Iberians on rocket fuel! Cannot describe just how very QUICK and light these horses are - almost like riding thin air!

Delightful horses to handle though and very kind. Not sure I am quite up to their very latin restlessness and speed. :(

Have found my perfect Iberian and now I cannot afford him until after Christmas.
[throws self on floor with vexation, frustration and downright temper]

Why am I not rich/married to a rich man/won the lotto/inherited wealth/have fantastic uber job/kept woman ??? :( :rolleyes: :eek:

I rode some when I went to the women in the outdoors (a seminar put on by our national wild turkey federation). They are very pleasurable to ride, our host kept mostly paso finos. I think here they are a little more expensive then say a quarter horse, but still affordable for the average owner I daresay. But then your native breeds are almost unheard of here and would cost too much for me :)

A decent Paso Fino here in the UK is around £7,500 as there are only about 50 in the country at the minute.

They are a dream to ride, so quick and responsive but perhaps a bit to quick for me. :rolleyes:

i think you should ride perhaps a different paso fino!

the gelding you describe ~(brillante)~ was gelded sometime mid 2005 so i doubt when you rode him had all his hormones settled yet..infact i know that he still doesnt (he is currently at my friends yard and i have been riding him)

whereabouts in the midlands are you? my friend has three paso finos and is starting her main breeding program next year- she is always welcoming people to come and ride her pasos, so if anyone is interested pm me.

they are a delightful breed, the mildest temperament but still with fun in them, the ride is spirited but not mad..id much rather get on one than many other horses ive ridden. the style of riding is slightly different but the ride is very comfortable, dont let it put you off. She is based at the moment in welham green (junc btwn m25 and A1(m)) and anyone is welcome as we are just trying to get the breed well known at the moment.

Ah yes, Gloria! Small chestnut and full of attitude. Wendy's fav mare was an older dun mare of rare bloodlines, the foal was quite young when I saw them. Just checked the website and the mare is Cleopatra...

I have emailed to ask if Latigo is still for sale - will let you know if I hear anything.

Edited to add: Wendy also had a very stunning tall pinto mare called Kascada who was justbeing broken (!) by Stan.

newrider.com