Furious and giving up.

Ace87

Quitus & Strike
Aug 8, 2007
Bedfordshire
NOT Q OR STRIKE!!!!

I am finally walking away from the lovely Zara. She has been on box rest since I spotted she had symptoms of laminitis, which YO and vet confirmed, she's now allowed out for 4 hours per day in either the corral or the school.. Owner asked me when I would start riding her again and I told her I would be happy to start riding her again once the vet has given her the okay. As the vet has said she's not yet 100% I am not prepared to ride her no matter how often her owner says oooh but she looks fine!

So yesterday I went up to do Q and Strike with my OH, got to yard did my boys and went to speak to YO... Well... I wasn't expecting what she told me...

She went out today to see her chickens and noticed someone tearing about the school on a horse, went to see who it was. Lo and behold it was Zara being ridden by some ''so called expert who was all of 15'' YO screeched at the girl to stop and asked her what on earth she was doing riding a young horse with back problems and laminitis... the girl was apparently very cocky in front of Zara's owner's daughter but was soon brought down a peg when my YO barked at her about the concussive damage she could be causing to the horses feet etc. Needless to say she has sore tootsies again and is back in her box.

I can't honestly believe it, this girl was asked by the owner to go and ride the pony and "sort her out". The pony was on a very strict fittening regime set by chiro which I was working on really well with her. She is also laminitic. She doens't have the muscle or balance to do canter serpentines normally let alone when she's suffering from laminitis?! Owner apparently didn't see a problem with a little light riding (since when has thrashing a pony round a school been 'light')

So now I've had to walk away, it breaks my heart to see this little mare treated in such an ignorent manner, she could be a genuinely lovely RC mare for someone! She's only 6 and such a lovely girl. But I won't be involved with this idiocy any more! My YO said it truely upsets her but she feels she has to say something as it's her yard. But she said to me, it's time to walk away now.

So, there we go. No more Zara pony for me. It's a shame, I like her a lot but this is just not for me anymore. They want someone who'll do what they want no matter if it's detremental to the pony. I won't do that. :(

To be honest I'm a little confused on the whole ordeal:eek:, could you explain it to the yank in plain english please lol:rolleyes:. No matter the case seems like a bunch of rubbish.

Sounds like the owner has not got a clue what she's doing!!!! and letting a 15 year old ride her around!!! sometimes you do come across ignorant thoughtless horsey people, i would tell the vet what has happened and have a word with the owner, i cant blame you for walking away, poor Zara xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm glad you've got the courage to walk away, and it's certainly the best option for you. Your kind nature has been taken advantage of for too long, and too severely (IMO) - I'm glad you've decided enough is enough.
I suppose all we can do is hope that this will be a wake-up call to the owner. :mad:

Hugs, you're probably feeling rotten right now (knowing what a lovely person you are!!), but you can't help Zara if her owners, essentially, won't let you.

NightRider - I was asked to take up the ride of this horse as the owners are novices and she is a 6yo who is VERY flighty in the wrong hands and needs a lot of slow careful work to bring her into fitness as she has a very soft undermuscled back. She also had a fairly severe bucking issue which i managed to sort with the help of a good chiro.

I do feel sad, I feel like I've let the poor girl down. But I have two horses of my own to stress over, I can't use more emotional energy on someone else's horse too.

Painful though it is, you have to walk away. I'm sorry it's turned out like this for you though, but there is nothing you can do. It's such a shame when you get lovely ponies with such awful ignorant owners!! :(

Oh Alix, what a bl**dy shame. That pony was a little saint when they got her, but they were so stunningly ignorant I knew it would all end in tears. She didnt have a bucking issue when she arrived!

Walking away from a horse is never easy (well, you know my problem with Brook!), but you are definitely doing the right thing. If the owner is just going to undermine you and the vet at every stage, then you're just wasting your efforts.

call me nasty, but i would have quite liked to see J barking at the 15 year old expert! I've been on the receiving end of a "bark" once or twice myself :eek: I bet that kid went off with her ears burning....!

Oooh yes her bark is worse than her bite our J!! Luckily I have yet to be on the recieving end of a bark from her, she's currently apologising for selling Kamots and having Teya on field rest therefore me not having anything to ride?!

It's such a shame, but hey! I've tried and I've been undermined 100% so what else can I do. The owner also still owes me for things, £15 isn't much but it's something!!

newrider.com