Full or partition wall?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Im about to order a new build horsebox, pros and cons of partition and full walls? Im leaning towards full wall tbh as our youngster is a bit firey. Any one has opinions or experiences either way? Its a 3.5t Im going for so younger relatives can use it if needed. x

I think if I were in your position I would go for full length (solid to the floor) partitions, it eliminates the risk of slipping under the partition, however as I type this I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure how much having a full length partition will eat into your payload, so many 3.5t can physically fit 2 16.2hh in them but their payload is only 800kg so wouldn't be safe or legal to carry those two horses, I guess it would also depend on what horses you planned to carry and what chassis you are having it built on as to weather you had excess payload that you could afford to 'give away' for just in case

This is what we have it is not full height but there are bars above and in front the grooms section is the same with solid wall which can open to provide emergency exit and full rails on top. It is very strong.

Sorry I mean static partition between the groom area and horse area. xx
Ah, yes I'd want either a full wall or one topped with bars, heard too many horror stories not to, but equally it needs to have an emergency exit out the back if it's a side loader just in case the worst happens and you end up ramp side down

Reactions: tikkitti
Sorry I mean static partition between the groom area and horse area. xx
the partition i have in the box is made of the same as the partition between front of horse stall and grooms area. It is solid floor to ceiling and opens into the grooms area. the partition in the horse area also opens at the front at horses head so you can either go in or the top barred bit opens if you just want to put a hand in. I deliberately avoided anything with bars due to issues with trailers when they went under the bar, or unhooked it. I travel from 8hh up to 16hh so this is the most flexible transport i have had

Last edited:
Mine has a single pole (collapsible) breat bar, but then has a full wall to the grooms area. One dowmside to the single bar is that you can't then put (loose) things under the horse's head as you can with a solid one. The upside is that you can easily dusck under it to get to the horses head. I've had both and prefer the single bar.

IMG_0250-XL.jpg

I think going for a full-length partition wall is better. But this really depends on the size and behaviour of your horse. I also think that having a halved partition wall is also best for ventilation. The pros of having a full-length partition is that they won't be disturbed by the environment outside.

newrider.com