Full livery or track livery?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So the boy is currently on full livery and is doing very well. YO is amazing as managing his issues.

However he is still wearing his boots for road work. All 4. I have seen a track livery not far from me and very tempted...

Sox does seem to get bruised feet if I don't do things slowly. Any thoughts?

From what I recall you have been at a few different yards with Sox and have never been happier than you are here. If you are feeling secure with a yard manager who helps you care for your horse, I would stay put.

Reactions: lauren123
If I were you it would take a lot to get me to move given how Sox has flourished where you are now, but Iā€™d go and look at the track šŸ˜‰ bear in mind it could be someoneā€™s back yard personal track like mine or even just a grass track that really wonā€™t do much in terms of conditioning feet (not in comparison to a huge fully surfaced track system with a large herd living on it) and given it took you a while to find the right balance for Sox I wouldnā€™t risk rolling the dice on an inferior set up.

Reactions: lauren123
Don't do it.

He's happy where he is, and the healthiest you've ever had him. His gut issues are under control, as are his skin problems. He looks well and is in work. You like the yard too and have the support of the yard owner if you need her to do him when you're unwell. If he was mine the only way I would be moving him would be if I had to move out of the area.

Since he has Cushings the time may come when he can't be managed barefoot, in which case on a track livery you may have to move him again. Also would you have stabling? Rugging? Feeding? Or is it just something that someone has set up and expects the horses to deal with restricted grazing and movement? There's no guarantee it would help with his feet, and it may make them worse, there are tracks and tracks.

Yep as said others have said, if your horses health is currently stable stay put for now. Tracks sound lovely and some peoples horses florish. But there are tracks and tracks. If its a yard not to far away id go look at it now coming out of winter then look at it middle of summer. Some tracks ive see are just solid mud in winter. I wouldnt want that for my horse.

What do you want to achieve on a track system that you don't think you can at a 'normal livery?

Are you having specific issues or reasons why you want to remove the boots?

I have Pete on a 'proper' commercial track with artificial surfaces and it's great in many ways but it does have disadvantages too šŸ˜‰

For me the benefits are it gives Pete a greater freedom of choice, grass free turnout is really helpful for his metabolic issues, more movement on a variety of surfaces did really help improve his feet and he gets to live out 24/7 with a herd.

There are always disadvantages though. For me, the management of horses as a herd is a drawback. For example: I'd rather soak his hay but that's just not feasible. There will be other disadvantages for other horses.

FWIW, at least half the horses on our track system use boots for hacking - some all round, some just in front and some occassionally. We probably have a higher percentage of remedial cases that need them, but some non-remedial horses 'just do' need them partly because we have some stony tracks and depending upon how much work they do, some because they physically wear their feet too quickly . Pete has been in front boots for a while now for some rides. It's not a good or a bad thing - it just is what it is.

I'd go and see it but be very honest with myself about the pro's and con's and wouldn't make a snap decision.

Last edited:
It sounds to me as if you and Sox have both been very content with your current yard. I'd wonder why you think it's important that he can go out without boots. My trimmer tells me there are many horses who will never hack without boots because their feet just don't handle roads or stony surfaces well, and there's no shame in booting a horse for work! Even on our sandy soil, my livery neighbour always boots her TB x every time they hack. The only time he works unbooted is for lessons in the sand school.

You could stay where you are and keep the boots on!

newrider.com