From angel to devil in one ride what happened....

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
A very pointless thread but this happened to me yesterday and I still can't believe it.

I have been lucky enough to ride everyday over the bad weather (indoor school) and he had been out for 12 hrs everyday so no excuse about being over excited.

Well I have had the week off work and had decised to spend it hacking the lad minimum schooling so he could chill out. He started the week OK went out every day with a different friend got a little stupid when he couldn't keep up in trot with a bigger horse but in all not to bad for him.

(Quick silly point I also rode another horse everyday so I was riding 2 each day and I also went to to watch Olly Townends on Monday night and so so impressed with how he sat on a spooky horse i think all of this helped)

Anyway on Thursday we went to the river bank with a horse that he has gone out with many times it was very windy! he started OK but got progressively worse over the ride. He did a lovely rear, a couple of spins, one stop dead and numerous bucks in both walk and trot.

I thought maybe he thinks I am holding him back and just wants to go forward so being very brave I let him have a canter he bucked as expected but only went 3 paces and stopped!!! So I tried again and the same happened.

He has had all the checks done and works well in the school I blame it on the wind. BUT the reason I have posted such a crap post is that throughout our time together I always used my voice when he is being silly and bring him back to walk to calm him down (and me if I am honest) This time I was dead quite didn't say a word and even giggled at one point then pushed him back in to what ever we where doing.

I am so proud of myself and my mate was shocked at how far my riding had come on. I was not scared as I knew he was not trying to get me off but just excited and scared about the weather.

Anyway point of thread.... until something out of your comfort zone happens you just don't know how far your riding has come.

Deffo vino and choco if you read this boring thread

Not boring at all, it's always interesting to read how other people's horse behave (or misbehave). My normally sensible horse definitely has 'wind issues' I discovered this a few months after I bought her when she tanked off with me a few times. This has definitely affected my confidence.

Sounds like you handled him really well though, give yourself a pat on the back!

newrider.com