friesian owners... what bridle do you use for inhand?

H

haylekins

hi guys,
what bridles do you use on your friesians for in-hand showing? do you use a thick hunter type or a thin rolled type? pics would be good :p

I'd go for a plain thick hunter type, with reins if the horse is old enough to be ridden. Freisian heads are too long to suit rolled bridles.

see thats what i thought but was at a show a couple of weeks ago and a friesian had quite a smart looking not rolled but a nice thin inhand one and it suited it and got placed first

Rolled/thin bridles are often seen at the gradings along with the white bridles.

It depends what you show her in... if its a ridden/riding horse type class then use a hunter type bridle with pelham/double reins if you can.

If you go in a foreign breeds class I would used a rolled/thin bridle or even splash out on a white one to proper stand out :D

Tazanne, I think you'll find unless you run the horse yourself the runners can and will refuse to take any horse that doesn't have a bit... they really do chase the poor mites round cracking whips and rattling stones in cans, ect to 'scare' the better movement out of them! so need some kind of control. Blackhorses stallion Wessel was asked to leave the ring when I went, poor lad was frightened to death of the gizebo in the middle of the ring but judge refused to look at any horse who didn't have 'manners' and saw it as some kind of disrespect towards them! :eek:

If your not bothered about grading and are a bit of a softy I would strongely suggest against it, ask Jess on here what they did to poor Una! but if it does mean something to you then I would bit them and close your eyes and hope for the best while they 'present' your horse to the judges :p

When Dandea is shown in hand I use her normal everyday Sabre rolled bridle and remove the noseband - it's what was used for the gradings as well.

haylekins I don't think friesians look right in a heavy type of bridle - mine don't, I'd certainly go for a narrower type and I always go for plain black with no bling as that way from a distance you can't tell they've got a bridle on.

Tazanne, he will be fine if you prepare him - Dandea has never bothered at all about all the whip cracking and rattling tins and you and J are both tall enough to practise running with him, he should be fine for the day with just a rubber bit or a fulmer snaffle - I used a fulmer for Dandea because at least that stopped the bit being dragged through her mouth.

They may refuse to run him without a bit but you don't have to have a runner, just put J into training at the same time as Xander, he's easily as tall as any of the runners lol! It may also be worth checking with FHAGBI about the bit thing - they will always ask the FPS for you.

newrider.com