Friesian barefoot Hoof help please...

CazzaP

Wanna Gallop
Jun 15, 2009
Hi,
On saturday i get my beautiful Friesian horse :D, and she is currently barefoot. I would like to keep her this way and wondered if you could recommend the best thing to use on her hoofs. I know somewhere on here i read what people had recommended but i blowed if i can find it..
She has good feet at the moment even though she doesnt like them being picked up and i want to keep them this way whilst training her to pick them up for me...
Dont fancy getting her sedated every time the farrier comes.

Caz

I would buy a rasp (you can get them off ebay). When picking her feet up just get her used to the rasp.
I trim my friesians feet myself, he also doies not like to have his front feet lifted but he is only 2 so its working progress.

hmmm. there seems to be a pattern here. xander is a complete tw*t for his front feet. everything else i do with him he is brilliant, & tries hard at everything. his back feet are ok, & he even has them ready & waiting in the air when i get to them. but his front ones i struggle to get them up in the first place, then as soon as they're up he starts snatching them away. he even bunny hops or drops to his knees (on 2 occasions). sometimes its genuinely balance as he is better if he leans up the wall :rolleyes:. other times though he's just being an arse. i dont know what to do either. he never gets aggressive, doesnt bite or kick, just snatches. he doesnt have anything wrong with him, his feet are in really good nick, & im 100% sure its not a trust thing. i can touch him anywhere & he's not tense at all. im working on a parelli method at the mo, but not going anywhere very quickly.

when its not a balance issue, its a dominance thing (he;s still a tad bargey at times too).

anyways, friesians generally have brilll feet & should never cause much trouble & are great candidates for barefoot. xanders are rock hard & his frog (even though im still battling the thrush) is also really solid & looks very promising.

imo theres no need to ever shoe a friesian, their feet are just great (disclaimer: obviously not everyone - there's always the exception ;)).

let me know if you any bright ideas - so i can copy!

just realised you said you're only getting her sat - we must have a new thread with pictures & details on everything about her!

She is ok with her front feet but apparently had to be sedated to do the back ones. She is 10 and has not had much done with her for some time so its going to be a fun winter gettingto know her and getting her reschooled before i reback her. I am sooooooo excited.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
Caz

I would keep her barefoot, Makke is 5 now and has never been shod and I can hack him out every day, I show him and riden up to 6 times a week and can only say his fronts get a week bit crumbly in the summer when its dry, this can be helped by putting aqueous cream all over their hooves.

Dont shoe her unless its absolutley necessary!

newrider.com