Friesian as a first horse?

JMR77

Aug 26, 2015
Hi

I am after some advice from any experienced horse/friesian owners. I am in the process of buying myself my 1st horse after getting back into riding. I currently own a welsh sec B 13hh pony who belongs to my daughter so I do have some experience of what it is to own and care for a horse, however I have never owned a friesian before. The breed has been my favourite since forever and I am in the process of looking at one to buy. He is a 15.3 black gelding 12 years old and has been used for carriage driving and ridden under saddle (not done much else but hacking as far as i'm aware, doesn't like driving which is why owner is selling as her business is wedding carriages). I have ridden him out hacking and was very pleased with how he felt under saddle, I have a lesson booked with my instructor to see how he reacts and schools in a sand school next week as I'd like to do a bit of everything with him eventually and I will be having a 5 point vet check done. My question is is a friesian a good 1st horse to own for a some what still learning horse owner? Do they have a good temperament? Are they easy to care for or will i be biting off more than i can chew? I have a lot of horsey friends around me and I would be taking him regularly to school with my very experienced riding instructor at her riding school centre. What are your thoughts as friesian owners? Your help and advice is much appreciated.

There are certain breed characteristics in different breeds but you just can;t generalise those to any specific horse. If THIS horse has a calm and willing temperament then go for it. He sounds lovely. And I agree they are a gorgeous breed!

If he's been educated for carriage driving he stands a chance of having manners instilled. But as KP nut says, don't just look at the breed , look at the individual.
The ones I have seen here have not been carriage horses and I wouldn't get on them let alone advise them for a novice, But I know carriage driving friends have very sane , sensible kind and well balanced horses.

Last edited:
Like @Wally said imo many ride and drive ponies have fab temperaments, and have a sensible attitude towards their work. I actually prefer ponies that have been broken to ride and drive for children as ime they have already done a decent amount of roadwork. Friesians are a beautiful breed but they a big powerful horses, make sure you can easily handle him on the ground as well as in saddle. I've known of a few friesians that are quirky but that doesn't mean there aren't sane ones out there. A bit like saying all appys are nuts, maybes some are but that's a generalisation and unfair on the ones that aren't. Good luck and let us all know how you get on and if you do buy, post pics please :) X

Reactions: JMR77
No advice but would love to hear more and see pics, they are splendid and I used to want one when we fkrst started looking. Sadly my budget didn't stretch that far!

No advice but would love to hear more and see pics, they are splendid!

Same here. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things by trying him in different situations and taking your RI along. Good point about trying him from the ground too. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you. Would be lovely to have a Friesian on the board so we can drool over the pics!

There are certain breed characteristics in different breeds but you just can;t generalise those to any specific horse. If THIS horse has a calm and willing temperament then go for it. He sounds lovely. And I agree they are a gorgeous breed!
Thank you as I said when i met him for the 1st time last weekend he was just so calm and docile, a real gentle giant, he just stood tied up with no haynet, he didn't fidget or seemed agitated at all and when I rode him out he really didn't put a hoof wrong :) xx

If he's been educated for carriage driving he stands a chance of having manners instilled. But as KP nut says, don't just look at the breed , look at the individual.
The ones I have seen here have not been carriage horses and I wouldn't get on them let alone advise them for a novice, But I know carriage driving friends have very sane , sensible kind and well balanced horses.
Thank you...the owner has over 50 years experience with large breed horses...used to breed and break shires and now had friesians. She owns 4 just the 1 she is selling doesn't enjoy carriage driving and so she wants him to go to a home where he'll be doing work he loves. I've met all her friesians and they all seem to have great natures and manners. xx

Thank you all for your advice. I am going out again tomorrow to see and ride him and will be taking my daughters pony with us to meet him and ride out with us. My heart is saying sod it just buy him as i can't wait and would love to be bringing him home but my head is saying be sensible take your time and make sure he's as right for me as i am for him and what i want to do with him. I will keep you all posted and fingers crossed it will all work out and within the next week i'll be bringing this lovely boy home to start forming a forever friendship and bond with. :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Good luck, I would lay a small wager on him being level headed then, Carriage drivers tend not to put up with bad manners or silliness.

Reactions: Gimp and JMR77
Just thought i'd let you all know i did go out again to see and ride the freisian i've been looking at to buy and he had a few quirky moments which i believe were caused by another young horse who was riding out with us whos a bit green and was acting out....anyway the other said horse had a moment where it tried to bolt past me reared bucked and i took the full force of his kick in my right knee cap...the freisian i was riding knew something bad had happened as he stopped straight away as i was lent over his neck in excruciating pain. To cut a long story short I went on to continue our 2 hour hack after which i went to A&E to be told i've broken my knee cap....I am now in a full leg cast for the next 6 weeks and so at this moment am no longer able to go ahead with buying the horse i've been looking at...i will have to wait and see if he's still available when i'm bk on my feet :(

Good grief what a nightmare!

I am so sorry to hear about your knee. I really hope you are back on your feet and fully rehabilitated before long.

Oh no, what a terrible thing to happen. I'm so sorry to hear about your leg. I hope it hasn't put you off at all and that the Friesian is still available when you get out of pot x

Oh no, what a terrible thing to happen. I'm so sorry to hear about your leg. I hope it hasn't put you off at all and that the Friesian is still available when you get out of pot x
Not put me off at all I'm still determined to own my own horse and if it's meant to be the fresian will still be available. just a freak accident so I can definitely see the funny side of it although it's as frustrating as hell to be laid up for the next 6 weeks. I'm not 1 to sit still generally as you you will well know when you own horses you tend to be on the go constantly. ...so that's going to be very difficult for me.

Oh dear, what a crappy thing to happen, as Wally says though he sounds like he handled the situation very well though. Hope your soon feeling better and that he's still there when your cast comes off.

newrider.com