Fricken mites ! What treatment ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I'm feeling very guilty today, it looks like my poor horse has for the first time in 4 years developed/caught harvest mites. The herd he is in was turned out into a field which was recently harvested for hay and they got itchy whilst out in this field, however he was stabled for 12 hours out of every day whilst they were in this field temporarily.

They are back in their old field, but about 4 days ago I noticed him chewing his legs more than normal (he's always had a good scratch). I had a look through all his feather and found scabs on all of his legs. :cry: I treated him with Pig Oil and a little bit of sulpher I had left over, but this took a while as he got fed up after I had done his hind legs, he was swinging everywhere and pawing the ground with a clear 'I'm hacked off' expression. I perservered though and gently massaged the oil in on all of his legs, it started to work straight away and I could see some of the scabs lifting within 10 mins.

Today I went to check his legs and having the oil on his feathers does help greatly in being able to part the hair and getting a better look at the skin, but I noticed more so on the front legs, around the fetlock joint his legs are swollen and there are small creases in between the inflammed areas, needless to say I know he was getting annoyed as he started to paw the ground hard whilst I was trying to look again. So it must be sore and I know he can get impatient with his front feet anyway, the skin doesn't look red and angry though, just a healthy pink and puffy. I reapplied the oil to the scabby areas, but I'll be calling the vet later for some advice.

How have others treated these ? Is it worth clipping the feathers off ? I would do it without hesitation if it makes it more comfortable for him. The dectomax (sp?) injection ? Has anyone had it done ?

From looking on the net I can see some people have had success with neem oil, so I might order some to help.

Any advice though is greatly appreciated :help:

Don't feel guilty, these things happen.

Mites is a tough one because there is nothing licensed to treat them as far as I know.

I guess the problem is two fold, treating for mites and ensuring Levi heals and doesn't get an infection.

If it were me, I'd be clipping off feathers if I were finding treatment an issue. You know how much I value feathers though so it's not a decision I'd take lightly, I'd still do it though. I'd be washing with hibiscrub to prevent infection.

For the mites themselves, that's tougher because no professional could advise to use a product not licensed for that job. Personally though, I have deosect and I'd treat with that and then again in 10 days.

As always though Ruskii, you know I'm not the most experienced person in the world. There's always the route of a phonecall to the vets for advice which shouldn't cost anything.

FM has a lot of knowledge & experience in this area. My Roxy has mites at the moment as well & I'm trying to get my head around the best way to treat before I go in with full force. What I think I'm going to do is the Frontline again (spray) apply and then again 10 days later and follow up with regular PO&S. Failing that I may well try Deosect. Apparently it's very strong stuff so needs to be applied with caution, but it can also be used for sweetitch and fly spray as well.

I'd very very loathed to clip off the feather as they work so well in winter at keeping mud at bay - Roxy's feather is quite thick and I've not yet *touch wood* had any probs with mud fever.

Deosect as someone else posted was given by vet to friend who had horse with mites. Neem oil is also pretty good. Very strong, but not good for very sensitive areas. When I first found neem oil I thought it was a cure all. Sorted out smelly feet, kept flies and midges away - would keep anything away with the smell of it! But putting it on sheath for sensitive few spot appy DID not help at all!! He gets midge bitten swollen sheath and neem oil made it swell enormously. Sudocrem better for sheath.

Dectomax injections are the easiest thing to do. My vet has also given us a lotion which is ivermectin based to put on his legs when they flare up again. We had my sisters cob injected two weeks ago, within 3 days his scratching reduced tons. He has had his second injection now 2 weeks on and has stopped scratching altogether. The inflamed areas have reduced too. Now that I have him living with me I will be keeping his legs washed regularly and treating with pig oil.

Rosie suffers too but it's easier to keep hers clipped off and since she's not used for showing etc there's no need for her to have feather.

Dectomax injections are good.

Last year when Quinn had mites i ended up shaving off his feather, and using a frontline spray (from the vets). I did 2 applications and then put Pig Oil and Sulpher on him and had no further trouble.

There is no miracle cure and as your horse is sore it is best to choose a treatment plan and stick to it, if you keep chopping and changing you risk inflaming it more.
I would stick with the pig oil, I dont think it is necessary to clip the legs unless there is secondary odema (then your vet will tell you to) Do not use hibiscrub too often as it it very harsh on broken skin (I wouldnt use it at all for what you are describing but I know people do, just keep it to a minimum)
Consider deosect/dectomax jabs/frontline for when you have it under control, some horse are just prone and a preventative course of action works well.
I just use pig oil & sulphur, religiously, all all year round but I have a Shire and it is pretty much a necessity.

I use Frontline then follow up with Pig oil and Sulphur Neem oil is good but both are better used as a preventative.

newrider.com