French Blinkers experience

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
I just thought I would share my current experience with these in case other people were thinking of giving them a go. I bought them ages ago to try with a loan horse who napped towards the exit when competing but never got the chance to use them as she went back to her owner. However I got my own horse in September who likes to throw her toys out of the pram by walking backwards and doing mini rears/ spinny things to get out of working. My instructor told me to boot her forwards when she trys to do this and this has worked to an extent but I wanted to try and prevent her from doing this before she got to the stage of napping hence I thought i would try the blinkers and after two days usign them I have to say they are helping. She stll tries to nap but so far has not tried the walking backwards/ mini rear thing and seems a little more focused on her work. the theory is if a horse cant see where they are going they wont walk backwards/ rear. I know they wont work for everyone and I have heard people have had probs with them but my horse seems to of accepted them so might be worth a try for other people having problems??? I dont know much but perhaps it might help someone else with their horse?:eek:

Interesting....i did briefly consider them for my boy:) (hes a bit spooky) but then i thought he might spook more if he cant see whats around him...he likes to have a good old look at scary looking things then he will walk past them nicely...would rarther him spook and learn it wont hurt him instead of masking the problem
Glad they are working out for you :)

newrider.com