Free walk on a long rein, help!

sarahandbronson

Goodbye NR :(
Mar 8, 2009
nottinghamshire
Bronson always gets a five for this movement, and I feel that it's letting the rest of his test down (especially with it being double marks) as today he got pretty much all 6-8s, apart from his free walks and canter-trot transitions.

What can I do to improve this movement? He goes fairly straight, and is quite active in the walk, but I can't get him to stretch down; he just pokes his nose out and I have no idea how to encourage him to stretch correctly :(
Any tips for canter-trot transitions are also appreciated, as these were also fives (fell into transition) but there were little PC kids and ponies cantering round the outside of my arena at the time of the transition, which distracted me a bit, so maybe I asked too quickly :confused:

To encourage your horse to stretch down, I'd lunge him in a chambon.

A chambon doesn't just work on the position of the head, it will encourage him to stretch along his back as well.

Thing is, I don't own anything like a chambon (or a roller, or a cavesson; don't lunge very often). My YO would probably also kill me if I used any sort of training aid... I'm not too keen on them either, sorry!
Thankyou NatalieR, that might work as a quick-fix in tests :)

Tie carrots to his hooves?!

Sorry!

I find holding the reins apart a little more and moving my hands forward as I give with the reins encourages Doey to actually stretch down, as opposed to just not taking contact.

You could just knacker him out so he is half asleep for this movement?!

Sorry I really am not very helpful :eek:

Thanks, will try those things, apart from carrots-to-the-feet, not sure if that is dressage legal :p I've never been told to lighten my seat for it before, so that's an interesting suggestion, thankyou again!

try very gradually letting your reins out so the stretch develops over several steps.
Do loads of it in training sessions work 10 mins stretch then pick up work and then stretch again. This will teach your horse it is a reward.
Seperate and widen your hands, think down and forward (I know it sounds strange thinking it but it does help) then keep a light contact and play with your fingers to gentle vibrate the bit. Aim for just a little stretch to start with.
Quite often people ride the movement by getting on the diagonal and dropping the reins totally. But it is a gradual movment and although a very light contact you should still have a contact on the reins.
If you mange to work your horse round and through for a short period of time they will natural stretch down and seek the rein as you lengthen the rein. They will also try and stretch down to stretch the muscles they have been working when in the outline.
For canter trot transitions think about the hind legs stepping up and under your horse in the transition. Doing lots on a circle can help to get the movement established. So canter 6 steps trot 6-8 steps then back in to canter and repeat 4-8 times on each rein.
Counting the strides can also help prevent a crash landing 123, 123, 123 and trot.
Not a really aid but I find very slightly lightening my seat in the downward transition also helps my pony step under hime self (sometimes that is!)

newrider.com