Free lab fees voucher for cushings test

Be careful as even those testing negative to cushings, insurance companies are excluding cushings from there after.

Actually Arns is excluded already even though he had a negative test some years ago. Petplan lump it in with EMS so even if he had it we aren't covered.

Be careful as even those testing negative to cushings, insurance companies are excluding cushings from there after.

Am furious if this is the case! Why when we are doing our very best to try and help our horses do we then get penalised? I had Belle tested as surely it's better to know one way or another, how they can then say she isn't covered even though her test was negative is beyond ridiculous. How did you find this out ponylover?

sorry to be cynical but I found these a load of crap. Angel had three (yes, lab fees are free but callout and drawing blood etc are not, of course), two 'negative', one inconclusive. vets were sure she had cushings so the test was a waste of money as they prescribed the drugs regardless (the drugs didn't do anything either).

also cynical as the tests are sponsored by the manfacturer of the cushings meds ....

the 'laminitis revolution' is a load of b/s in my opinion as it makes it sound like most lami cases have cushings and that it cab be 'fixed' easily which is not always the case. common sense, a sensible diet etc. (including not overfeeding in winter) are still the best way to keep lami at bay.

Reactions: Trewsers
Have to say NP I agree. Its farcical because you still end up with a vet bill and as you say surprise surprise they are sponsored by the drug company.

Whilst I agree that you still have to pay vets fees I do strongly disagree NP re lammi causes. Studies show (am quoting Liphook Equine Hosp) almost 90% off lammi cases have an underlying hormonal cause, cushings being one and EMS another.

Am furious if this is the case! Why when we are doing our very best to try and help our horses do we then get penalised? I had Belle tested as surely it's better to know one way or another, how they can then say she isn't covered even though her test was negative is beyond ridiculous. How did you find this out ponylover?
I have to say I've read it online from various places warning those considering doing the test. Some insurance companies not even removing it after written documentation from the vet.

But EMS is also managed by means of a low sugar etc. sensible diet (being metabolic and all). A cushings horse needs to be monitored closely as well, the meds don't just make everything go away in terms of lami risk. that's the bit I disagree with, they make it sound like a bit of Prascend or Metformin is the 'miracle cure' to laminitis. If only .... :(

newrider.com