Freaky dolly !!!

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Whilst Lani, my Grandaughter was here a few weeks ago we watched a
programme about these rather 'sad', I thought, middle aged women who were buying 'Reborn
Dolls' and 'pretending' they were real babies, right down to the part where
they bought prams and took them out for walks:cold:

The 'dolls' however are very realistic and of course Lani states 'I would love
one of those'..............We go on E BAY and there are LOADS........OMG the
prices of some of them were unbelievable and the 'realistic look' rather FREAKY !! But there were some although realistic, still 'dollyish' .......AND more importantly reasonably priced !!

As we hadn't really got her anything as yet for her Birthday we all put together and she chose several leaving it up to me which one to get.........

HE ARRIVED...........'ALFIE' :bounce: He came with a blanket AND 'Birth Certificate' lol, and some clothes including a Jasper Conran sleepsuit
no less::biggrin:biggrin: Plus the dungarees etc., he arrived in.

I have to say he is rather 'cute' although realistic still 'dollyish' as he is only
18 inches and NOT at all 'Chukkie' like, as I was expecting:bounce:

She has rung every night to ask 'has my baby arrived'...........she is over
later and I just know she is gonna LOVE HIM.......I know I would have as an 8 year old, I just feel sorry for her
Mum, lol, as I have a feeling all her new Baby Brothers Clothes are gonna
be disappearing for ALFIE:bounce:

Here he is...........Hubby and No.2 Son say they will be glad when she takes
him home, lol as they think he is rather freaky !!!

Attachments

• ALFIE.jpg
    ALFIE.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
i have seen this programme before FL and i have to say these "real life baby " dolls disturb me no end..

Some of the women that were on the show needed some serious help..for example the grandma that had one made to look like her grandson.. all the way through i assumed that the grandson must have died until at the end they told us he was in New Zealand??

WTF - ..WHY has she spent 2k on a stupid doll when she could have paid for return flights to NZ for cheaper? Does she not want to see him in person? I cant even BEGIN to get my head around the logic of that..

Also what did they say when people stopped them in the street, and then realised that the said doll was infact NOT a real baby but a DOLL... i'd be wanting to get away as quickly as possible...:help:

Obviously its different for your granddaughter as she is still a child so please don't mis-interpret my reply to the thread as getting at you ..:smile:

ETA - that doll looks like a doll and deffo not like a real life "baby"...

lol, No I felt exactly the same tbh, and some Woman even flew across
states in America to pick up her new 'baby':cold: The Grandmother you say about actually strapped her 'DOLL' into a car seat........WTF !!!!

I totally agree, they had serious 'ISSUES':bounce:

Some of them on EBAY were 'really' freaky and far too realistic for comfort !!

Which is WHY I chose Alfie, lol, babyish enough but definately DOLLYISH :bounce:

I think she will be happy !

TBH Candyflosspot I was rather 'relieved' when I realised her Grandson, who her 'doll' was a replica of, WAS still alive, think it would have
been even MORE freaky had he died !!!

Last edited:
Eww.... I found that programme really disturbing and like you, I also looked on ebay afterwards and found it all really uncomfortable. Alfie does look quite dolly-ish though.....

Yeah he is 'dollyish'.........he is actually quite cute, lol. Head is weighted
and soft body that makes him 'floppy' but he isnt 'gender specific' :biggrin: so she can dress him as Boy or Girl, whichever takes her fancy !

omg!! Had a look on ebay - you can buy (gulp) baby parts...heads...arms..legs - OK, I'm officially freaked out a:)

:bounce::bounce: and then they PAINT THEM to make them more 'realistic':cold:

I honestly think some of the 'dolls' could initially fool you into thinking its a 'real' baby............but don't think thats the case, thankfully
with Alfie Dolly !!! Although 'suitably' realistic for Lani to find him 'babyish' he is too 'small' to fool you that he is REAL:bounce:

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairlady, hope your granddaughter has hours of fun with her dolly, nowt against kids having them, but grown-up's???????!!!!!!!!!! What is that all about?????????????????????? Laughed out loud btw about the reference to "chuckie" - blimey what a scary film that was......................

I remember the Cabbage patch dolls - there were loads of those around in the 80's - I remember reading a freaky creepy story (could have been just another urban legend) about a woman whose child's doll broke and they sent it back to the manufacturer and they got it back in a small coffin package......with a death certificate............wtf????????????? Not nice......................

I remember the Cabbage patch dolls - there were loads of those around in the 80's - I remember reading a freaky creepy story (could have been just another urban legend) about a woman whose child's doll broke and they sent it back to the manufacturer and they got it back in a small coffin package......with a death certificate............wtf????????????? Not nice......................

OMG!!! i just burst out laughing at work reading that i must have a sick sense of humour :giggle:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairlady, hope your granddaughter has hours of fun with her dolly, nowt against kids having them, but grown-up's???????!!!!!!!!!! What is that all about?????????????????????? Laughed out loud btw about the reference to "chuckie" - blimey what a scary film that was......................

i cant imagine the makers would have done that :giggle:.. although reading about it made me LOL a little ..in reality if i was a kid and that happened i would have been devastated..

Well I picked her up from school, brought her home and she hasn't put
Alfie Doll down since:bounce:

Think he is a success:wink: He has been undressed and put in 'sleepsuit' lol, and is now being dressed again ready for a trip to the Shop in her Dolls Pram:biggrin:

She picked him up.......went to take out his Dummy, looked at me and said
'He isn't ''freaky'' Nanny is he':bounce: When I assured her he wasn't lol, she
took his Dummy out to look:bounce:

She likes him:biggrin: I even made a 'pram set', quilt and mattress cover for her out of some wadding and two pillowcases, I 'EVEN' embroidered it with an 'A' and a small car and Teddy for her........lol. Took me all yesterday evening as I am useless with a needle......however, it seems
to have passed muster with her and she is delighted............the 'teddy' looks a bit 'strange' though:bounce: I had to laugh cos when I said 'Teddy didn't work out too well' she said
'Don't worry Nanny at least you TRIED':bounce:

Last edited:
I even made a 'pram set', quilt and mattress cover for her out of some wadding and two pillowcases, I 'EVEN' embroidered it with an 'A' and a small car and Teddy
Uh-oh..... you're one of THEM now, Kay!!!! :mstickle:

It's funny you should mention this as there was an article in the paper a couple of days ago about a women that bought two of these dolls coz they looked like her kids when they were new born.

She washes them and dresses them and takes them out. She left one in a car seat in the cart once and someone spotted it and was about to report her :giggle:

Hope your grandaughter has lots of fun with hers but my grandaughter would much prefer a jar full of live spiders :biggrin:

It's funny you should mention this as there was an article in the paper a couple of days ago about a women that bought two of these dolls coz they looked like her kids when they were new born.

She washes them and dresses them and takes them out. She left one in a car seat in the cart once and someone spotted it and was about to report her :giggle:

Hope your grandaughter has lots of fun with hers but my grandaughter would much prefer a jar full of live spiders :biggrin:

OMG how embarassing to have to explain that one away:giggle:

If I wanted a 'dolly' that looked like my eldest Son as a youngster it
would need The Devils Sign, i.e. 666 stamped on his HEAD!!! :bounce:

newrider.com