Frank Baines saddles?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Hi, The cob I bought from the field has with work changed shape and so my gfs is getting snug, I mentioned it to our local saddler and she said she has a Frank Baines in that may fit, I saw it and it did look worth a try but wondered whether anyone had ever had a FB saddle and if they liked it or not, just don't want to waste anyone's time. x

Doesn't anyone have, had or even have rode in one of these? It looked a well made saddle, was a eclipse model and was brown which means I could keep my bridle. If I don't hear any bad then I'm going to arrange a fitting on Monday morning but any info would be really appreciated. x

Hi, I think I will end up trying it, just wondered if anyone had any experience of one? Saddler really likes them and said it was a bit of a bargain and had only been used for 18 mth before the horse was pts and owner has now decided to trade it in, but as expected is in fantastic condition. xx

I've never seen one of their saddles, however I think the quality of their work tends to vary. I have a girth and a breastplate that is good quality, but stirrup leathers which are totally shocking quality. Within a few rides the non stretch leathers had stretched, and nylon had shredded in the holes so it's virtually impossible to thread the T bar thru the holes without a problem.

Reactions: tikkitti
Apparently the previous owners paid about the £1000 mark brand new, it did look to be good quality and was hardly used so think it's worth seeing if it fits him. I don't want to buy a new saddle really as even though I totally love my cob, he's fun and can jump a little, once he's calm I think dressage is more his thing but sadly it isn't mine:( He may jump a novice course, intermediate at a big push. Like I said though I love him so have made a pact to keep him for another year before deciding what to do, I have started to miss jumping which I didn't think I would, but we will see what happens:) If he has a lovely fitting saddle then I'd let it go with him IF I do ever let him go . x

Last edited:
I used to work for Frankie Baines, They are well made saddles and he is a top craftsman, You will be getting top quality, whether it fits you and your horse and suits you is for you alone to decide.

He was having bother with a lady when I worked for him, sent her saddle back saying it was making her sore,, He asked me to take it home and ride in it. So I did and found it a delight, nothing dug in, nothing was wrong as far as I could see, I rode in it on two horses and it seemed fine. I gave it back to him with a glowing report.....then met the lady whose saddle it was, Back then I was 5 feet 8 and about 12 stone, the lady who owned it was 4 foot nowt and about 7 and a half stone wringing wet. Frank, back then could not see that two riders of such different shapes and sizes were not going to get the same out of one saddle. :D

It's a good make and will be top quality,

Frank's son used to run the bridle workshop and when I worked for Frank, Gary had to be smacked down a few times, I won't go into details here, but the bridle workshop with his son in charge could be , how shall I put it? erratic? ;)

Have booked him in for a fitting:) I'm no saddler but it looked promising , so keeping my fingers crossed. xx Wish Anthills still made saddles in wasall, used to love their saddles had quite a few of them. Then I think they started importing them and the quality went downhill, shame as they were nice saddles IMO. x

I'm 5,3 and hover around the 10 stone mark so hopefully will be fine, used to be 9 but since having children 10 seems more do able, I do like my food, lol. It's a 17" eclipse, with ribbed knee rolls and looks smart, I can't wait until tomorrow now:). xx

Don't know, all I know is I've had a fair few anthills and they have been fab then a few years ago I bought one online looked similar to a Pessoa but the quality was terrible compared to the original anthills. Tbh I thought it was a copy, did a little digging online and read they stopped making saddles in Walsall and had started importing them, such a shame. Think the imports have red studs, whilst the originals have metal studs. Must admit if I wanted a really cheap good quality saddle, then a older anthill would be my saddle of choice. I saw one a few weeks back in a second hand tack shop a bargain for £60 and I had to stop myself buying it, lol. xx

Here's some pics from a original antill saddle x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Bought the Frank Baines, fits perfectly and saddler said I wouldn't iho get a better fit, it's a really lovely saddle, very well finished. Riding out on Thursday can't wait. x

Have checked all the studs and they're all metal, no red at all :) Paid £70 for it so am well chuffed now. Would still like to know what Pilkington do/did though.

Glad your Frank Baines fits - wish you lots of happy hours in it :D

Thanks:) yes £70 for your antill was good value IMO, No idea about pilkington... I have no idea why antill started importing saddles but it was a real shame as the quality was really compromised. I don't even know if they are still trading, I still have one of my Antills in my tack room from the early 90s they really do last. x

newrider.com