Fourth Lesson for old ladies -

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
As some of you know I set out to book six lessons at different yards, with different teachers and different horses, expressly to canter round a school.

So far I have cantered three horses in three different schools.

My fourth lesson was booked with a highly qualified and experienced BHS teacher, who knew exactly what I wanted to do and chose the pony I was to ride.

I rode off the lunge (rejoice).
Boy, it was windy. After four steps of walk, the pony spooked. Never had that happen before. We continued at a brisk walk but Instructor decided pony was too lively after being stabled all day, made me dismount, and sent for a member of staff to trot and canter him round. Watching, I felt I could have done that.
Instructor knew I had hacked for years, but taught me as if this was my first ever lesson in a school. She taught me as if I was six and knew nothing. When I replied correctly that I was on the right rein, she asked "Why is it the right rein?" Same with trotting diagonals.

I tried to tell her, I understood footfall, and canter leads. I have had school lessons every week for the last four years. It made no difference; she must have a set lesson she gives all new pupils, and I got it. With an included warning that because I was ageing, I must accept that I might not ride as well as I did three years ago.

Horse got jumpy each time round at spooky plastic jump stuff at one end of the school and a fluttering garden parasol the opposite corner. I couldnt believe it when a white sheet of plastic blew across the school towards us, un-noticed by instructor. Had to turn the quivering horse away and ask her to remove it.
Because it was so windy and the horse was so jumpy, I agree it was probably a sensible decision that I would not canter after all.

Afterwards she said I should have a different pony next time. And seemed surprised that it was she who had chosen the horse for the purpose.

I felt let down. According to the BHS, I had done everything a client could do to ensure a brilliant lesson. I did not think it is value for money to be given a spooky pony, get treated like a child by this very senior woman and have it pretty much rammed home that you are not competent to ride it.

I guess this shows how important it is for older learners to try out different teachers. And how narrow the dividing line is between a lesson in a new place where the horse canters like a dream. And one where he is too spooky for it to be safe to try.

I sympathise as it has happened to me. Agree that there is such a distinction between different yards. It did not sound like you got value for money. Out of interest what area was this school in? I lived in London and wonder whether the place you are talking about is the one I am thinking of!!

Write and tell them!! and copy it to the BHS. I'm sure you could phrase it in a positive/constructive criticism style - your post seem positive about something that you could have been negative about!

If you don't write they wil never know that you were disatisfied. As you would probably not go back there again, you can't lose anthing - and, hey, they might just offer you a free lesson (watch for flying pigs???)

I'm a great believer on feedback - and riding schools are going to have to get used to it, as the current generation coming through school are specifically taught self and peer assessment - and I bet they will use it in later life!!!!

I'm finding this experiment of yours really interesting, Skib. How refreshing to be able to objectively compare instruction like this -- it takes all of the emotion out of the relationship with the instructor, and makes for really interesting reading. Are you planning to write up a report at the end and send it to the BHS?

Like Crazyhorse, as a fellow Londoner I'd love to hear what schools are involved!

Looking forward to the next 2 updates.

Riding lessons are so full of ups and downs:eek:

Sorry you had another unsuitable lesson, Skib.

Really irritating when you hand over your money afterwards for the privilege.:confused:

Sounds like the previous girl was a better option.

Good luck for the next time.

xx

Dee

I am following this experiment with bated breath. Just a little side bet that the best instructor/experience for you will not be they most highly qualified/prestigeous. If I am right I will explain further my thoughts!!

Oh and my inate sense of fairness really demands equal weather/distraction conditions but I suppose that is being a little fussy :rolleyes:

Hmmm, yes Skib, I too am having RI issues. Thought it was me, but beginning to wonder that it may be her. Old fashioned view of teacher must be right(and I have been a teacher of other subjects for donkey's years), and find I lose my adult perspective. Horrid, actually!
I so hope you find a happy relationship soon.

it took me ages to find an RI that i trusted enough to have regular lessons with, it took about three years, with disasters along the way (all BHS qualified instructors btw, BHSII upwards.). i was about to gve up and struggle along on my own when i asked a horsey friend who she would recommend. it was worth the search, i'm enjoying the lessons and learning so much.
keep looking Skib, good luck.

This wasnt designed as an experiment to examine riding teachers. eml I agee I would want standard conditions. But it has been interesting yes.
It was just a strategy to get me not scared to canter in a school.

My teacher has only one lesson horse, so I needed to see if I got on better (as I did last October) with riding school ponies who knew their job. And the school horses have been easier to ride than my lesson horse on the left rein.

I'm not actually looking for a new teacher. But having a lesson from someone different now and then, broadens anyone's horizons. You can always learn something from a good teacher.
And no, another big change. I am no longer scared of riding teachers; the girls I ride out with week in week out know how I ride.

I am not sure if there will be further instalments. I wanted to get the problem solved before the end of April, and I have cantered four horses in a school.

Having so many lessons didnt prove a sensible plan. I got really, really tired.
Joanng in NY who is also learning to ride in her sixties wrote about being tired. Me too. I think if you are aprehensive and concentrating hard and doing something new in a lesson, it is much more tiring than going on a hack for fun. It wore me out.

So now, I 'll put in some practice and get reliable on the horses I already know.

The only big frightening thing left to do is to ride in an indoor school. One teacher said to me that was safest of all. But OH pointed out that when I fell off in an indoor school, my purple fleece was ripped open down the back from shoulder to waist. It could easily have been my back torn open by a nail, instead of my fleece, he said. But one cant ride in a clinic unless one dares canter indoors.

eml, I havent done this school cantering yet with any young things.
But how did you guess? I have learned important ways of doing things well from qualified riders.
BUT the girls who really saw me on my way to riding were young and not qualified. The teacher who showed me how horses learn things, and who took me for my first hack, and the one who persuaded me I might canter, are both Yard managers now. And my best hacking companions, with whom I ride quick and easy, and who let me experiment with horsemanship are barely out of their teens. There was an AI who taught me forward seat last summer, much as Mehitabel would. So having qualifications doesnt spoil all teachers, does it?
What was it you had in mind?

Last edited:
Soory Skib I wasn't trying to imply that qualifications spoilt the teacher as I am a great fan of the 'system'.

It is just my personal feeling that the further teachers get in their career and by nature of the system therefore the better riders they are and the less they teach the novices in the school then often the less they can relate to novices issues such as yours.

i learned things from my bad (for want of a better word) lessons too-how i don't want to do things.
edited to say- an instructor that suits you is a very personal thing i found, qualifications can't account for personality traits :)

My feeling about riding instructors is it comes down to whether they want to teach or not. There are alot of people out there who want to work with horses and working in a riding school gives them the opportunity to do that. The big ones that have structured training offer alot of experience for someone in that position - the one I used to ride at had a daily staff lesson on weekdays. However some of then do find that they don't have the passion or aptitude to teach though they may be excellent riders and good with horses. Before I found a share, I used to ride at a big riding school and my experiences were mixed depending on who was teaching. Luckily as we were on the advanced lesson, the instructors sometimes got a bit more enthusiastic but the standard could be mixed. I would say to anyone try and get a recommendation for an instructor not just an establishment.

newrider.com