four horses killed by bees

shockblue

Oct 8, 2009
Derbyshire
www.ponytailsjewellery.co.uk
Just noticed that in news today. Apparently bees don't like the smell of horses. Not sure if the family were actually keeping the bees in the horse field though. I can imagine that wasn't very wise as horses probably like the taste of honey.

Quite shocking though that they killed four horses.

Just noticed that in news today. Apparently bees don't like the smell of horses. Not sure if the family were actually keeping the bees in the horse field though. I can imagine that wasn't very wise as horses probably like the taste of honey.

Quite shocking though that they killed four horses.

Where was this? Do you have a link to the news story?

How awful. There is a beehive thing in someones garden that we ride past. I must say, I am never very happy going past it.

:eek:

We have beehives on the farm:frown:! One of the rides we do is known as "The Beehives" There's about 12 hives right next to the path. :ninja:

Never had a problem with them though.

How awful! Was this in the UK? Stings from enough bees at once can kill anything. We had a whole hive full congregate in our garden last year. Freaked us right out!!! :mask:

They were Africanized bees, native to America, and not over here, so you can all breath a sigh of relief, I think it'll be a long time before they inhabit Britain (as long as they can't get onto planes or ships that is)..Just re-read,one link is american, the other british..

I think if anything knocked over a beehive they will attack, So long as the horses cannot get in among the hives everything will be fine. Very sad,

How awful. My neighbour has a beehive and one of my paddocks and the stables are right next door to his fence :frown: Thank god we don't get africanized bees here.

Just read Tillytoo's reply above. I'm a bit nervous now.

Last edited:
newrider.com