Found some birds in tiny cages down the yard!!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Eek what do I do, they are in traps as bait I would assume to attract females. Cages are tiny, dirty and no water, birds are very stressed.

Tried ringing rspb but they are not there

Are they wild birds in cages? if so phone your local wildlife liaison officer at the police, or the RSPCA should be able to put you in touch with them.

If they are pet birds the RSPCA might be better placed.

What sort of birds are they? Do you think your yard owner knows about them?
Sounds all wrong to me. Where's wally on this one? She knows about birds - I asked her something similar a while back.

I tried googling but couldn't find the breed, they are small and brown, with black wings with yellow stripes on. Cute actually! I filled both their water bottles, they have been empty for some time as have cobwebs, I also put a little seed in each cage. They are down the end of field near main road, guessing they are gypsies.

Oh dear - what are they trying to do? I think the RSPCA local to you needs to be told. Surely they can help? Do they not have a "traveller" co-ordinator? Somebody who speaks to their community? Poor birds. Good on you for feeding them.

They were juvenile goldfinches I think! Can't belivee you identified them from my poor description. Are they rare or illegal to catch or anything?

Wally the traps are like the ones in the video, there is a section of the cage like that, but these bird are in a sealed part of the cage which makes me think they are being used as bait

Yes it's illegal (hence why I suggested you local wildlife liaison officer, they are a specially trained police officer who deals with wildlife crime). They probably are bait to attract other wild birds, these will then be trapped and sold illegally to dealers. I think it is a pretty lucrative crime.

Definitely onto the police for that one. Those poor birds, although I'd be inclined "Oops how did they get free ?" :ninja:

Yes it's illegal (hence why I suggested you local wildlife liaison officer, they are a specially trained police officer who deals with wildlife crime). They probably are bait to attract other wild birds, these will then be trapped and sold illegally to dealers. I think it is a pretty lucrative crime.

Thankyou everyone, I will try and make contact with my local wildlife liason officer, if we even have one of them round here, before I take any further action. I will keep an eye on them over the weekend if I can't get hold of anyone tomorrow. Don't want to let them go just incase I'm completely wrong haha

Oh how horrible,

I think I would take lots of pictures, and call the wildlife officer and possibley move them myself in the mean time if it was safe to do so. I maybe wouldnt release them incase they have always been captive, but saying that I dont know a thing about how birds can survive once released.

Good on you for finding them, poor things

If they are not a native bird to the UK you could get into deep trouble releasing them. You need to be 100% certain of the breed before you turn them loose

newrider.com