Found a fantastic house

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I've found a stone and slate farmhouse, 8 acres, large stone and slate barn and a separate cart house,small river right next to it, acres and acres of forestry commission forest right next to it (you could probably ride for years and not do the same route twice!) bridle path next to the house which goes into the forestry. All within out budget.

Unfortunately it's almost derelict :furious: :cry:

you just got me looking!!

i just found a lovely 3 bed semi in a rural village nearby - for less than our house....i wanna move now....my hubby doesnt though....its what we are in now but with a much much bigger garden and space for the trailer to be parked..... damn having a husband who wont move...oh and not having a house ready to sell!

Do it up bit by bit? as long as at least one room is liveable? Or buy a caravan to live in whilst you do it up?

Where there's a will, there's a way:biggrin:

We are moving next year all being well and will be on the look out for our forever house! I can't wait but need to get our house ready to sell first!:banghead:

I am having to go in with my parents to get a house with land but unfortunately my mother thinks this one might be too run down, especially as they will have to commute to get to work.
I still may push for a viewing though as it's in such a fabulous location (and I bet it would be worth a fortune when finished!) We have already viewed a couple of houses in the area and I like it.

You don't happen to have a builder or surveyor friend you could take with you, do you? Might be worth taking someone if you go for a viewing to get a rough idea of how much work needs done.

We do have a builder in the family but not close family, and it's a couple of hours drive away.

I've also found a barn with planning for conversion a little further down, lots of forestry near by but not on your doorstep like the other house. It's got 10 acres, but it's on a lane where as the farmhouse has a mile long driveway.

Some pics

The farmhouse
2qvdo4x.jpg

Farmhouse barn
1ywz75.jpg

The river
2ly2109.jpg

Wow!! in one word! go for it, go with your heart :D it looks amazing, and I'm convinced it would be possible with some work. Think of how amazing it would be when it is all finished a year or two down the line, all through your own doing :) keep us all updated with what you choose to do...

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but there looks to be an awful lot of work needed on that farmhouse.

I think it would be sensible to get an estimate for the basic work (walls, roof, damp, electric, heating etc)if you are serious, add on the cost of a caravan and then something for contigencies. Is it still within budget?

I do understand the temptation. We were sorely tempted by a couple of houses that needed a lot of work when we were looking, but you really need either a lot of money or the skills and time to do major as well as minor work yourself for such a project.

But you're right - it would be a wonderful home when restored. I hope it all works out for you.

Yes I took into account the work needed, and it would be still be in budget (it's under budget at the moment) but I need to view the property to see how much work needs done.
We would prefer a house we could move straight into, but I know we wouldn't be able to afford a house in that area, in the location it is in, without it being in that condition.

I'd buy it and live in a caravan! Who cares if it takes a life-time to get right????? Our little cottage is a work in progress, but the land and hacking are great so that more than makes up for it! Every year I have something to do, hence buyin the caravan to shack up in - its great!
Statics are cheap too and you only need apply for temporary ppermission for it siting next to the house.

Great stuff - go for it - spent years doing up derelict places and living like tinkers - but all worth it in the end.....not that I would ever contemplate 'roughing' it nowadays - but hey - your young whats a bit of discomfort on the way to a beautiful pad with your own land eh?:smile:

newrider.com