Forum advice...

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Didn't have a witty or ingenious title for this - but MP's thread about positive stuff about our horses made me go back and read the threads I posted when I first joined New Rider in 2009.

Its amazing what hindsight does! How I wish I had read more deeply into stuff back then!

My first post, I asked about correcting her awful behaviour…

- Wally asked on that thread about how bad was her sweet itch - I knew it wasn't great, but didn't really think too deeply on it…. I now know that 99% of her issues are skin related!

- Louki suggested I restarted her - twelve months later I did and it was essential

- Louki also suggested mild lami… which it later transpired was significant lami

My third post was about saddle fit…

- Sexy Sietske suggested it was a totally inappropriate saddle (it was in hindsight!) and that she could lose a few pounds (transpired to be a couple of hundred kgs!!!)
- Sian suggested a treeless saddle… that was eventually the right answer (and only answer after numerous bucks/rears/falls/kicks during trials!!!)

And it goes on - thread after thread of advice, which in hindsight would have solved my issues at the time - but I think we had to "follow our journey" to learn them for ourselves!

Thanks New Rider - certainly saved one little white pony from being PTS/sold on many an occasion - and probably most of my sanity too!!!

That's good to hear! I know I would find the same, but when I look at my threads I can only find the last 500. Are the rest stashed somewhere for me to find if only I knew where to look?

Super post! Looked back ..I joined in 2002 first thread I can find was a rant about passports ,still ranting today!

Fascinating and tempted to do updates but will resist!! Still got lots of the horses/issues we discussed then!!

Last edited:
Aw I found this little thread, who remembers these two little Shetlands. One later passed away.

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206250&page=2

I think though pfb, we all have a journey to do and advice is all great but we have to be ready for the changes as well.

I remember your littlies - was it wizard the main one? Brown and white ones!?

I just thought it was amazing - five years ago people suggested stuff which I took seriously, but never really did anything with - an here we are using all the NR advice :)

Aww thats lovely :) when I bougjt womble I went back and had a gander at my old threads. It was good to have a read back actually :)

Jane I had a look and it could only find as far back on you as Jan 2011, but you joined in April 2010 so that is already 9 months later. I don't know how to search any further back??

Oh NF please do tell me how to find my old ones, I want to reread all the posts about Ziggy when he was new!

I did it Jane! Search for Threads started by this user, and only look in the cafe area (as presumably that's where you posted most, but if not look in another subsection). That got me back to May 2007 but it doesn't sound like they are you first posts either when you read them. One of the earliest says you have had Ziggy for 6 months? Did you have another user name originally?

Found my first post - hilarious! I was asking people to say reassuring things about me going to try out this ex racing 16.2 TB. Which everyone did, but in hindsight, really shouldn't have done! I was in no way capable of riding an ex race horse then or now!! It was fine for a few months until he properly tanked off with me, bucking the whole way home! How I didn't come off I will never know! Reading my post makes me cringe at how naive and clueless I was!!!!

I think all my early threads would have been about what to ask when horse shopping and then all about Joe!!! Seems like a lifetime ago - NR has helped me so much. There was stuff I hadn't ever considered that I learnt of on here.

I remember your littlies - was it wizard the main one? Brown and white ones!?

I just thought it was amazing - five years ago people suggested stuff which I took seriously, but never really did anything with - an here we are using all the NR advice :)

Pumpkin was the one I backed and started hacking out-all 10.2hh of him. :giggle: Wizard died but it was looking that way from the start though.

newrider.com