For welsh cob jointed or straight pelham?

Depends on the confirmation of the horse's mouth. If he has a large fleshy tongue in a small mouth I would go for something with a port in it to help fit in the mouth better. :)

Natives are generally that way, easiest way to look is just to part the lips on the side of his mouth and if you can see his tongue bulging through the bars of the mouth then I'd go for something quite thin and ported, or mullen mouth at the least.

It would just depend on what your horse prefers, I personally hate single jointed bits and avoid them at all costs! But if your horse has a small mouth and a fleshy tongue a mullen or ported mouthpiece will sit more comfortably in the mouth whereas a single jointed bit will tend to pinch the tongue and then the point of the joint can be pushed up into the top of the mouth causing discomfort.

my Welsh D X has a straight pelham, She prefers straight bar bit to jointed and i had to move hell and high water to get her a striaght happy mouth hanging cheek snaffle :rolleyes:

My sec d my prefers an unjointed bit. I have her in a Cambridge which is low ported bit. She was in a french link and was really fussy through the mouth and prone to throwing her head about. I went against the 'experts' and swapped away from that.

I personally think that whatever works is fine :)

Pelhams

My Welsh D used to have a ported bar Pelham and it was enough to lift off the tongue. I am not a single jointed fan either, but all mine have been natives so they dont suit mine. The one thing with bits, every horse has their own likes and dislikes if yours like the single joint and gives no worry, then it would be worth trying a jointed pelham, not so much new to get used to. There are a couple of places offering Bit trials, that might be the best thing to save money, or see if anyone on NR has what you want lurking in their tack rooms! Perhaps NR should set up their own database Bit Bank, I am sure between use we have them all.

He is currently in a jointed gag atm but going to try a pelham to use for shows only. Sorry guys you can hit me for asking soo many questions! :rolleyes:

Depends on ** horse like others say, but i would have thought if in joint already and comfortable go with joint. Somewhere i have a happy mouth "style" jointed pelham, its got metal bars covered in a plastic, works out a similar thinkness to a medium width snaffle type.

All my welshies have liked some mouthpiece with a link in it. Be it french link or a roller. I used to ride my cob in a single jointed pelham, he couldn't stand the mullen mouth one and was constantly putting his tongue over the bit. He also liked ported bits. I'd say if you are using a jointed gag, try a jointed pelham as a starting point :)

newrider.com