For the breeder amoung NR - Moody Mare

pengapenga

The Friesian
Sep 12, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Paris is in foal and over the last couple of weeks she has become extremely moody. Taking Moody Mare syndrome to new heights:eek: She is quite visious and charges horses if they come close to her - they could be 10m away and she will charge them, ears flat back teeth bared:rolleyes: When she connects she tears strips off the horses, last night she ripped Luckys rug and connected with his skin. She will have a go at charging the boss horse too!

She suffers from separation anxiety so not sure if separating is going to be the solution. At the moment she is only agressive towards horses and the dogs who give her a wide berth, she is friendly towards us and enjoys a brush and some TLC. I have am encouraging my OH to handle her so she gets used to him for when the day arrives.

Any suggestions? Have you come across this behaviour from a pregnant mare before? I have to say that I don't remember having seen so much agression from a mare in foal before. Of course the other thing is how protective is she going to be with baby:eek:

This got me thinking. My mare, Gabrielle, who may be in foal started to kick through her wooden stable walls, even the kick boards. Is this normal for mares in foal then, to get aggressive.

Whilst she was at the stud last year she stole a mares foal and wouldn't give it back! She didn't come into season then either and not since. If she is in foal she is due to foal April/May. Would the timing be right?

My previous broodmares were not agressive like paris so I am not sure it is the norm. However I do know that Paris became very broodie at the stud she was at before she came to me, all she wanted was the foals.

Does your mare look pregnant? If she is she will soon start bagging up and waxing. If she starts to foal will she do so in her present stable?

Here is a link.
http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0196foal.shtml

Last edited:
High levels of progesterone can make some pregnant females quite aggressive - and in a very distinct way, with lots of apparently unprovoked attacks and lunging (btw this is in rats). Doesn't seem to affect all, so may be linked to personality? Progesterone levels fall towards the end of gestation and oxytocin levels rise, so you should get less aggressive behaviour and more chilled out loved up behaviour - but after the foal is born, the mare may become more twitchy as she starts cycling again...

Just extrapolating from other animal research, have no experience of mares in foal but I'm certainly interested to hear how you get on :)

Not sure about becoming agressive, but I knew a nightmare-ish moody mare who was always difficult who went totally daft when she was in foal, was suddenly all soppy and loving and even managed to make horse friends (normally she was a loaner) - so I guess hormones can have extream effects on some?????

My previous broodmares were not agressive like paris so I am not sure it is the norm. However I do know that Paris became very broodie at the stud she was at before she came to me, all she wanted was the foals.

Does your mare look pregnant? If she is she will soon start bagging up and waxing. If she starts to foal will she do so in her present stable?

Here is a link.
http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0196foal.shtml

No she doesn't look pregnant but that doesn't tell me anything as a friends cob last year had a foal and she just looked over weight - they were jumping her 2' the day she went into labor!:eek:

Gabby was very fit during the hunting season but has put a bit of weight on over the last 3 weeks - very quickly - and very low in the belly. I did put a thread on about it last week (or was it this week?:p ) and general consenus was to get her scanned.

As for if she is in foal will she have it in her current stable - I am hoping that she will be out in the next 3-4 weeks so I hope not. As it is her first - if indeed she is in foal - there is no telling when/if she will bag up before during or after birth, she is very laid back and staying with the other mare we have there except that she is normally very good in the stable, the walls have windows in so that the horses can see and groom each other when they are in, but she has been really naughty with kicking the back wall so much so that she kicked all the way through. We have put up extra kick board and she hasn't gone through them - yet, but is still trying.:D

Is it possible she will wax up before bagging?

Obviously this is all hyperthetical (sp) I have a friend who is a vet and she may look her over this weekend.:D

Found this bit about the signs before foaling :D

Mares provide clues that they will soon give birth. However, the timetable is far from absolute. Some mares may show all the signs like clockwork, others show practically none. The following is a general guideline, but be prepared for surprises:

The mare's udder begins filling with milk 2-4 weeks prior to foaling.
The muscles of the vulva and croup relax. The tailhead may become more prominent a few days prior to foaling.
The teats become engorged 4-6 days prior to foaling.
"Waxing" of the teats occurs. (A yellowish, honeylike secretion [colostrum] appears 1-4 days prior to foaling. The secretion may drip, and the udder may even drip milk several days prior to birth.)
The mare becomes anxious and restless. She may appear to be colicky. She may kick at her belly, pace, lie down and get up, look or bite at her flanks, and sweat. She may frequently raise her tail and urinate. Generally, this is the first stage of labor. (However, be aware that colic remains a possibility. If such behavior is prolonged for more than an hour or two without progress towards foaling, contact your veterinarian.)

RI's mare is pregnant, and she's been a total cow since day one! She was always a little opinionated but mostly a well-mannered girl, but now she pins the ears and she'll come at you with the mouth wide open. It's a hazard to lead the horses past her stall because she tries to grab them. Vet says she's fine. :rolleyes:

newrider.com