For all the bigger riders!

Well, I've joined the group and introduced myself there so I may as well do it here too!

I'm 45 (so qualify for the Mature Riders group :mad:), 13stone (so qualify for the Bigger Riders group :eek:) and 5'3 (do we have a Short A**e group :p:D )

I've not long started riding and don't have my own horse yet so no pics yet I'm afraid but will try to get some of the horses at my riding school. I'm sooooooooooo jealous of your horses. They are all gawjuss! :)

Me too Wonkey Donkey :D

I'm 30 and 14st. Post baby blubber but unfortunately my baby is now 7 years old so i can't really use that excuse lol.

Ruby is a 16.1 TBxID and although she is long like a TB she is built like an ID with nice bone and good strong build. I take extra care with saddle fit and I'm currently dieting again especially for Ruby as I want her keep enjoying ridden work for as long as possible. This picture was took about 4 weeks after I bought her and she had just started to put condition on:

n513318547_1359596_4769.jpg

And this is her current condition (it's decieving actually, she doesn't look as fat in real life lol):
001.jpg

havent got any recent ridden pics, I'll have to take some this week and update my album.

No, I try blaming it on post baby fat but my daughter is 27 now so nobody believes me. Cant understand why! :rolleyes:

Ruby is beautiful and she looks fantastic. You're doing a wonderful job!

Aw thanks WD, she's very special to me and because she's my first horse I worry about everything so much, especially my wieght and if it affects her back. When I first bought her she had very noticable 'jumpers back' that the vet picked up on and said it's common in a lot of mature horses that had been hunted/jumped a lot but he had no worries about it hindering her for just hacking. She has no heat in it and no pain signs, it was just a calcification of the bones and you wouldn't even know it's there now but it's constantly in the back of my mind hence my weight concerns.

I'm just trying to think of what i've found difficult to buy. Probably chaps, mine were from fuller fillies, and long riding boots but the muckboot riding boots are really good. I like Gallop jodphurs because they really suck it all in lol. A lot of my weight is on my boobs :eek: and i sometimes feel top heavy when riding.

The heaviest I've been was 16st+, but I didn't ride then (not for any reason, just too busy and couldn't afford to anyway). People who have never been heavier cannot understand how hard it is to lose wieght, especially comfort eaters like me. And also exercise alone isn't enough in my experience to shift excess weight, it's so frustrating.
Hope this thread doesn't become abused because I need somewhere like this to find support with my diet and riding :D

Hi there :) Im considered a larger rider at 14st. I do feel out of place at my riding school, but over time i have gotten to know the girls in the yard and the ride. I guess knowing that im not alone helps :D In my picture im riding a Clydesdale mare. Obviously a big horse with alot of bone, this was taken at 'Cumbrian Heavy Horses' where I took a beach ride with 9 other riders whilst on holiday in the lake district. I have a pair of Fuller Fillies' jodphurs, and another from Harry Hall. I struggled to find some chaps big enough but succeeded eventually. I am currently dieting and ive lost nearly a stone so far. I could do with loosing another couple of stone :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 6216_1194935792068_1188633287_579266_1680949_n.jpg
    6216_1194935792068_1188633287_579266_1680949_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
iRide,
are not out of place,all beings/things are part of the furniture,
its the ones who stand up and show their prejudice towards riders who are different to themselves that stick out.

a beach ride in the lake district sounds awesome!

am quite fat?,though dont understand the details,and have a dietician.
but its not because am stuffing self every day/doing what people think overweight people do every day,am rarely eat food-and have a very limited diet both due to disability and have prescribed disgusting milkshake instead called ensure.
am fat because of drinking a lot of sugary drinks and not being able to exercise [due to disability again,but waiting for a car through motability which will mean being able to get out to accessible places].

Jasmine [the horse that ride every week] is fat as well,but she is awesome.

Hi to all the newcomers to this thread. It's such a boost to know that we're not alone, and yes there are people who understand how difficult it can be to lose weight and that not every larger person eats cream cakes all day.

I have been having some success just by keeping a food diary, recording everything I eat and drink into an app on my iphone which then calculates my daily intake of calories, carbs etc. Started off trying to stick to under 1,500 calories a day but that was too little really and am now on under 1,800 calories a day (am 5ft10 and big build). Have been managing to lose between 0-2lbs per week. As I've just posted on another thread, I'm just so chuffed for the scales to finally say 16 stone something and not 17 stone something.

All I can say is take it one step at a time and never feel guilty if you eat something bad as it's the bad feelings that will be your downfall not the something bad you just ate :)

hi everyone,
i am a 57 yr old returning to horses after 30 yrs. I just wanted to own one and look after it.
Well i have had Archie for a year now and have ridden and had a couple of lessons. I am 5ft 3in and weigh15 and a half stone. My boy is a highland of 14.2 and he carries me no trouble at all.
I believe in a quote" life is what happens while everyone else is sitting around planning"

Hi there :) Im considered a larger rider at 14st. I do feel out of place at my riding school, but over time i have gotten to know the girls in the yard and the ride. I guess knowing that im not alone helps :D In my picture im riding a Clydesdale mare. Obviously a big horse with alot of bone, this was taken at 'Cumbrian Heavy Horses' where I took a beach ride with 9 other riders whilst on holiday in the lake district.

That looks like Emma you're on, yes?

Would anyone like to guess my weight :) I am 5ft6 and this is me on my 14.3hh Section D x Arab... I have around 4 stone to lose before I start schooling her properly and getting ready to compete I am currently just pottering her out on hacks mostly at walk a couple of times a week :)

Hi everyone,

What a great thread - somewhere not to feel ashamed of being bigger! I cannot tell you what I weigh at the moment (too ashamed), but I have been going to Slimming World and have lost a stone so far:D

I have a 14.2 fjord now, but had a gypsy cob up until 2 months ago as well. Both have no trouble carrying me, although we only pootle on slow hacks and do a little schooling two or three times a week so he is not overstretched! I am losing weight so that I can do more with him next year - some jumping and Trec I hope! :)

xxxx

ok im having a problem with some of the posters on this thread who think twelve stone is or have been told is to big for a 15h cob. this is silly and 12 stone for people is not obese, i am 5ft 7 and i weigh 11 and a half stone and i think i look lovely :)

Be happy in your skin because you are the only person that matters

But there's a big different between 11.5stone of muscle and excellent riding and 11.5 stone of fat and excellent riding.

I'd have to disagree with that, if both are excellent riders - 11.5 stone is 11.5 stone whether it's fat or muscle (the old ton of feathers vs ton of lead adage).

A different matter if the "fat" rider is a beginner or is in any way unbalanced - or vice versa - the "muscley" beginner would be a bigger burden than the "fat" experienced rider.

Anyway, here's me (12.5 stone 5ft 4in) on my 15hh:

Ride2.jpg

People don't believe I'm as heavy as I am, and believe me, there's not an ounce of muscle on me anywhere! But then I don't believe that you lot weigh anything like what you say! :)

Last edited:
ok im having a problem with some of the posters on this thread who think twelve stone is or have been told is to big for a 15h cob. this is silly and 12 stone for people is not obese, i am 5ft 7 and i weigh 11 and a half stone and i think i look lovely :)

Be happy in your skin because you are the only person that matters

Well said :)

well i am gonna ignore the whole "weight" argument bit and tell you as a 17st rider how i get on with stuff!

I couldnt find a riding school anywhere and when i did i wasnt totally happy with them but felt stuck as i had no other options. To cut a long story short i ended up buying my own horse to have lessons on - a 17hh id. He is an old man and not only is he perfect for me but in actually buying my own horse i lost 1st within a month or 2 of having him as the mucking out and riding a few times a week really sheds the pounds!

I find a lot of the joddys are actually quite stretchy and so i either get them off ebay (but order a size smaller) or go to robinsons in lancs.

Even on my big lad i feel big but i think that is my insecurities and not a "i think he is struggling with me" issue. I am too soft on him i think but by god i love him to bits!

I would go for a heavy x or an irish draught, speaking from my own small bit of experience. My id is a good alround chap who is chunky but not too chunky and is a good height. I have a shire x wb filly who is also going to be of a similar build and is of a good nature and will be a beauty when she is mature!

Buy your own and shed the pounds plus gaining lots of experience! ;)

***me to!*** :)

:DI started this as ive noticed more bigger riders over 16 stone ect and just wanted to know about exprinces that youve had, like finding a horse or a riding school, and jods are ther some for the bigger rider?:D

Have fun.

Remeber if you own a hw horse put a pic on.
Thank goodness someone started a group Love Horse Riding i am 19 stone allways rode the biggest Horses at the Stables
Wanted to treat myself for my Birthday to a Hack was Unable to do so as my Weight was and is too high
Tried in Vain to find a Horse or Riding School to assist me

Clara, This is a very old thread. Many of us here and at the yard where I ride, struggle to control their weight and weight gain does seem to be the main reason why so many older people (especially women) give up riding. I am in my 80s and still ride, but only because OH and I have kept a very careful watch on what we eat, due to him being warned in a Company health check when he had to change jobs over 20 years ago. Your best bet both re health and riding again is to consult your GP or the NHS website or to pay one of the weight loss organisations, such as Slimming World or Weight Watchers.

newrider.com