Foot Soldiers, Someone To Walk With

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
What i am coming across is a selection of people for varied reasons want someone to walk out with them.
Has no one actually thought about offering that service?

If you lack confidence wouldn't it be useful to have someone to call and arrange them to help out? Or is this something riding instructors would do?

I am also thinking of people taking out youngsters with no one to ride with or pal up with.

Someone mentioned it to me because of all the walking and trotting i do with the cob. I would probably limit the rider to one hours hack to be of use and be able to keep up. So max would be about 2.5miles per walk. But sometimes it would be nice to grab someone to come-how fit are instructors or is teaching confined to school or field.

Needless to say non of my friends join me as i tend to cover two miles. Maybe dog walkers cover similar?

Last edited:
well our dog walk this evening was 5 miles, so tbh i would LOVE to offer walking with someone as a service, i love walking and talking! i often find myself nannying others and sometimes walking the short routes so i would love to. Whether there is a demand for it - I'm not sure.

I do know a lady who stopped having lessons because she was nervous hacking. The instructor only wanted to stay in field or school to work with her. She did go out once with her and friend had to keep stopping to wait, she only had exmoor, but it just showed how unfit other person was.
She sold the pony which was a shame.

I had a reciprocal agreement with three folk in my area, it got me out exercising and helped with my Flipo nerves. Sadly one girl has just moved away, the other doesn't ride her horse anymore as she's retired her and the other isn't bringing on anymore youngsters so doesn't need the support.
I'm really at a point where I could do with a few supportive hacks with a foot soldier, to help us explore further afield. I should probably advertise for a foot soldier but I couldn't afford to pay them anything and I don't know if anyone in the area has the same confidence issues as me.
I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and stop being a wimp myself. Its about time I started going it alone properly anyway, I can ride solo, I just choose my paths carefully but there's no reason why I shouldn't go further afield alone.
I did have my RI come out with me once on foot and a second time she actually brought her horse with her, but I felt it was a steep cost for me as I wasn't getting any tuition at all.
I don't think its a good idea for a business as lets face it, we're all short on cash and I don't think you'd find the demand would be there. Best to find some likeminded horsey folk, or talk to dog walkers and see if they would help. I really should put an ad up in the tack shop and see if anyone wants mutual help, but not the time of the year. Will see what next year brings.

This is what boyfriends are for! :D (Although at the moment said boyfriend is 300 miles away)

Our plan is family hacks, me on pony and him with the dog, from the little I know of pony so far she should be happy to follow OH on foot, the dog will get walked and so will the OH!

My son on his bike is my saviour.My pony loves him and will follow him past the scariest things ever ( like daffodils :wink:) I get help and he gets 1 to 1 time with me and a coke at the pub half way round..Couldn,t be better :biggrin:

I like helping people so could walk out with anyone, when i did that before the lady made lunch
:biggrin:

I do know a lady who stopped having lessons because she was nervous hacking. The instructor only wanted to stay in field or school to work with her. She did go out once with her and friend had to keep stopping to wait, she only had exmoor, but it just showed how unfit other person was.
She sold the pony which was a shame.

I can happily keep up with our carriage ponies at walking pace when alongside them.

I have a fab arrangement with a man from the field next door who has chickens. He commented one day that he would love some exercise and if I ever wanted any company he would love to walk out with me. I jumped at the chance and we go out twice a week for an hour or hour and a half.

The best bit is that he thinks I am doing HIM a favour lol!!! He needs the encouragement to exercise and finds it boring going out by himself. He walks and runs when I trot. He often attempts to keep up in canter but it only lasts a few strides!!!!!

I have Dom. He's been a superstar.... keeps up a constant stream of drivel conversation, chucking in the occasional "He's fine, looks relaxed and interested but not worried about anything" from ground level.... Perhaps I could hire HIM out!!! :tongue:

I walk out with people all the time -- to me its all part of the confidence coaching and yes, I am insured for it too --

since I run hacking with confidence courses, I saw this "foot soldier" aspect as pretty vital....

wish more people did it though as it is really useful to have an informed eye on the ground -- even better if they are a coach or instructor!

great exercise too LOL

Cathy

www.effectivehorsemanship.wordpress.com -- the confidence blog!

newrider.com