Food prices

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Prompted by native lover's thread. Just wondered how much we are all paying for hay and hayledge?
I pay £6.20 per hay bale - they are not the ginormous ones
£6.50 per bag hayledge
£3.50 per straw bale - not huge either
It is nice quality tho but wondered what prices were like elsewhere?

I'm just looking as we need to stock up for the goats over summer, I have seen some small bale hay for £2 a bale locally.

In Shropshire I was paying £35 for a large square bale of haylage, and small bale hay was about £5 a bale, we were paying £2.50 for a small bale of straw.

Anywhere between £4.50-£6 here for a hay bale. I don't use haylage or straw so don't know about them.

I pay £35 for top quality big bale haylage from a local farmer who delivers 12 bales with 24 hours notice into our barn. In the middle of a bad winter with snow on the ground and everyone stabled that is a months supply for our 24 horse/ponies! Most of the year it is 8-12 weeks supply. We use shavings bought in by the pallet load as straw is cheaper but takes much longer to do on a daily basis and makes for an larger muckheap to dispose of

I can get the small individual size bales of haylage for about 7 pounds or 4ft round bales for 25 quid.
Hay is generally around the 5-6 pound mark here for small bales, occasionally you see cheaper but it tends to be very weedy or poor quality.
I don't buy straw often, I got a huge 5ft round for a tenner about 2 years ago, just in case, and have barely touched it. My friend buys small standard bales for 1.50 each.

£30 for large round hay. £22.50 for large straw Heston. Grown and baled on yard land so it is "on-tap"

I always wish we'd made more effort to bale our own. We only use three acres out of thirteen so it would have saved big food bills during the winter. I did mention it to our nearest farmer but he didn't seem interested in baling it for us - even tho I offered to pay and give him what we didn't need:rolleyes: I guess he has enough land of his own.

We use contractors @Trewsers - they don't have land of their own, basically living off other peoples land. He charges £1 a small bale of hay to bale, and then whatever fertiliser costs hence the 20p per bald roughly. So much cheaper, but you need somewhere to store it!

We use contractors @Trewsers - they don't have land of their own, basically living off other peoples land. He charges £1 a small bale of hay to bale, and then whatever fertiliser costs hence the 20p per bald roughly. So much cheaper, but you need somewhere to store it!

I couldn't find any around here - they just didn't seem interested, maybe as it was not a huge amount? Storing wouldn't have been a problem. Anyway hopefully wherever we go we may get a chance to have our own baled - depending on acreage.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
In our area its £35 for big round bale of haylage although can get it from some places for £30, and £4 a small bale of hay, although Ive seen it for sale for £5 elsewhere. I use shavings as I just prefer them and they come on a pallet, normally buy 2-3 pallets at a time I just look for a good deal as long as shavings are of decent quality.x

Last edited:
Anyway hopefully wherever we go we may get a chance to have our own baled - depending on acreage.

That would be awesome if you could do that!.
There is not a lot of hay acrerage around here anymore.
Some tracts of land had them get hayed and the farmers would take all the hay just so the person
who owned the land could keep the acreage in 61A for tax purposes.
Most any of those places now are full of really big houses.

newrider.com