Food, Mood & Sluggishness

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
In the last couple of years, I've really started to notice the difference in eating a healthy diet - I feel so much better, more awake. If I have an off day, I really feel it the following morning, I can hardly keep my eyes open at work. Is this just age catching up on me, or have I eaten crap for the last 33 years so am only noticing it now I eat well?

Does anyone notice that their mood is affected by what they eat? On Saturday night I had an Indian takeaway with friend. I don't generally eat alot of takeaways as I'm a plain eater - think chips, pilau rice and korma sauce. (or sweet n sour if I go to the chinese lol!) but yesterday all day I felt so depressed it was pathetic. I'd lost my get up and go, but also felt so down with it! I can't get over how much of a difference healthy eating makes to how I feel in myself. Does anyone else notice this?

I know this is probably totally obvious and what the health gurus tell us but seriously, I never really felt it until now!!

Yep i know what you mean, i had good intentions today, got up at 5 did work out dvd, had shower, got kids ready had healthy breakfast then went put the horses out, come to work and have epic fail! two bags of crisps and a chocolate bar on top of my ryvita and no fat yoghurt! Need to have a healthy tea tonight.

I just can't resist the naughty stuff at the mo, my will power got up and left the building this afternoon. I can't get motivated at work either and my concentration levels are severely lacking!

That's interesting about the Indian take away. OH makes a lot of very hot, very spicy food, including dishes like Chicken tikka madras and vindaloo - both of which I adore and enjoy and suffer no adverse reaction to - certainly the worst thing is maybe being thirsty!!
However, take away food makes both of us really off colour the day afterwards. On the night we enjoy it, but tbh last week we had one and in the morning both felt like we'd had 10 pints of lager!lol. I felt dopey and lifeless all day, as did OH. There was definitely nothing wrong with the food, because we always re-heat it anyway, and make sure it gets longer than required (just in case).
So, I wonder, do they put lots of additives in? There is definitely something that does not suit either of us.

Most of the time I feel pretty energetic - and I have OH's healthy and fresh meals to thank for that. Junk food really does not make for good living at all, I can be quite off colour after eating something as innocuous as a ready made potato pie!!!

I'm glad I'm not alone. I wondered briefly it was some allergic kind of reaction - mildly not agreeing with me!

Come to think of it, I don't eat out often (billy no mates, no money!) and when I do, the food is always far too rich for me and I end up feeling a bit dodgy later on. I think of it as them using far too much creamy, fatty stuff in their cooking which my body is just not used to.

Hell yes which is why I find it so hard to understand why I still feel drawn to eating crap when it sits in my gut and makes me feel yuck.

I would say yes definitely.

Food and drink have a big impact on the way you feel.

Chocolate can make me feel good one minute and c..p the next.

Too much white bread has a bad effect and I have to watch the tea and coffee.

Alcohol is the worst one.

Some people wont even drink tap water. I don't go that far. My son is ranting on about it atm, something about the fluoride. He is on about getting a water butt to collect the rain water off the roof and then purify it. The animals certainly seem to prefer it.

I think the phrase 'you are what you eat' is very true although I wont be following any of Gillian Mckeiths diets any time soon lol.

I think you have to find what suits you as an individual.

I get cravings for things, as if something is lacking in my diet. I love things like Spinach, Watercress and rocket salad. I just add a bit to my sandwiches and it seems to help. Sometimes, it tomatoes....bit weird lol. Fish is another one:unsure:

I don't drink our tap water - it's vile! I know where it comes from (I posted a thread on here a while back about my pilgrimage to the source) but unfortunately, after having it tested by the local council (tis a private supply so we have to pay privately and get it tested at regular intervals) it is full of something (can't remember the technicalities) but it has high levels of something in it - which although won't kill you, does rot copper pipes! (My leaking bathroom is testament to that).
So, I buy Sainsbury's value table water - at 17p for 2 litres it isn't going to break the bank.
The horses don't seem to mind the water here though!

Ours is supposed to be good as its filtered through chalk but tbh it tastes rubbish.

I think I might go shopping tomorrow and buy some. Might also pop to the health food shop for some 'super foods' I feel rubbish today, totally knackered running round feeding animals properly and not myself :giggle:

I get cravings for things, as if something is lacking in my diet. I love things like Spinach, Watercress and rocket salad. I just add a bit to my sandwiches and it seems to help. Sometimes, it tomatoes....bit weird lol. Fish is another one:unsure:

I know what you mean - I get cravings for things like tomatoes, cucumber etc, I think it is definitely my body telling me it's lacking in something. Apparently almonds are meant to be good for hair - I have very thin hair nowadays (it's got worse since turning 35:frown:) and I read that almonds have good vitamins in to support healthy growth - and weirdly I crave those too.

Ours is supposed to be good as its filtered through chalk but tbh it tastes rubbish.

I think I might go shopping tomorrow and buy some. Might also pop to the health food shop for some 'super foods' I feel rubbish today, totally knackered running round feeding animals properly and not myself :giggle:

Yeah, we make sure our animals are properly fed don't we?!:giggle:

I am exactly the same.

They leave me feelin pants - I do eat a lot of rubbish (sweets and crisps), but take away makes me feel so lethargic - yet sweets crisps etc dont do the same.

Ok they don't make me feel amazing, an certainly trigger headaches but try don't give me the horrible lethargic feeling.

Yet I love eating them!

I'm sure this is me today! Had curry last night and today I just feel so bored and miserable! I put it down to my hubby being back in work but I wonder if its food related as I've been eating a lot of choc again lately!

Nothing I eat or drink affects me badly - although too much coffee makes me pee too often. I've cut it down from about 10 cups a day to one or two, and I think I feel better for that ... And I avoid anything with sweetener, cos it tastes disgusting.

But I can't miss meals now the way I used to - if I do, I start to feel faint.

I think myself to be quite lucky. I have a very varied diet. Mon to Fri we always have a dinner that consists of meat, veg and normally starch of some sort, either; potato, rice or pasta. I LOVE veg, love meat and love fish so I am easy come easy go. Also, like Trewsers I adore a nice hot curry but think more than anything it just makes me thirsty. I try to cook fresh everyday but some days grabbing some chicken kievs out of the freezer is just handy and less time consuming.

I also drink lots of water and squash and probably 4 cups of tea/coffee a week.

I've never really thought of food affecting your mood as such but I find if i've had a heavy weekend of drinking, partying and eating unhealthily my body craves something healthy like some fruit or veg. As i'm 20 i'm still quite young :redface: so my body is probably quite adaptable. Wonder what i'll be like in 15 years though..

My cat on the otherhand has the BEST of everything. Just bought her, her food yesterday. £52 later.. :frown:

Food has a huge impact on my mood and energy!

I think lots of the "crap" foods have so many chemicals and salt in them, you crave them, but they don't put anything back into your system, so you just end up dehydrated and lacking in all the right nutrients.

That said, I also have to make sure I eat enough as have a tendency to crash out if I don't eat regularly. Just have to force myself to eat the right kind of food!

If only us humans could think long term consequences, rather than short term gratification lol! A moment on the lips and all that!

I think also, the older I get, the more critical sustinance is to my ability to function. I find myself completely unable to concentrate at work if I haven't eaten for a while. Its maddening!

I also think that rubbish junk food affects your mood. Takeaways (esp chinese) contain GSM which is known for contributing towards low mood/sluggishness.

Not sure if its in indian but i'd guess so since GSM is mostly found in takeaways.

I have been trying to get into the mindset of eating healthily and have upped my exercise, cycled to work this morning.

Im still eating crisps and chocolate when i fancy it because i think if i try to go cold turkey i will eat more of the bad stuff. I have it there and if i want some i will have it.

Beige foods do make me very tired and puts me in the can't be bothered mood. Not good when i have a young horse that needs handling and another that requires riding!!

I think i shall have some tuna pasta tonight for tea! :)

newrider.com