Food diary - one for all of us

Brekkie - missed it! Recovering from the amount of alcohol consumed last night!

Lunch - tomato and chicken pasta. WW meal

Tea - big tasty from mc Donald's courtesy of midnight ashes turning up at my field this afternoon. Then later on a bit of Masala and rice

Mood - good!! Had a fab hack today

Sleep - got about 9 hours but didn't go I sleep till 2!

Last edited:
Saturday Trewsers food..................

Breakie, de caff coffee and one slice of marmite on toast
Water lots of
Blunch - meatballs with chipottle on top and grated cheese from the Subway with a coffee
More water
Evening meal will be: home made chicken curry with rice, nan bread and popadoms. Yum.
Snacks will be olives! Yumpers.
Weak lager aplenty, well it is Saturday..................

Been in a good mood, ridden Storm - but mainly because I got up at 8am mucked out and then went back to bed with the intentions of just having a wee nap but got a full four hours sleep........................the night before having not gone to bed until 1am due to hospital visiting. So I don't feel too bad about having a good lie in (if you can call it that after getting up to do my chores).

Saturday:

Breakfast - Slice of toast with marg

Dinnner - out missed it

tea: Large pitta stuffed with salad & cottage cheese

- Bought 2 ciders to drink tonight ( in the process now!) feel peckish again! I might have another salad pitta before bed!

exercise: 2 mile walk with dogs/pram

mood: good

Sleep: didnt sleep to well last night - I watched a horror movie in bed:redface:

edited to add.. I had a fridge pick and made a cottage cheese sandwich on small brown granuary slice, and had a wagon wheel.. bad bad bad!

Last edited:
Sat 29th June

Breakfast: Banana
Lunch: Tin of tomato soup with 5 crackers
Dinner: Date night dinner tonight! Starter: tortilla chips Main: Spanish chicken with potato wedges. Dessert: Jelly with raspberries.

Drink: 3 glasses of red wine!

Exercise: One hour jumping lesson on Ben. Day of running round after kids
Sleeping: About 7 hours
Mood: Had a headache all morning. Felt tired for most of the day.

Where are all your food diaries???

Sunday 30th June

Breakfast:banana

Lunch: 2 small rolls with cold sausage, handful of tortilla chips, grapes.

Afternoon snack: 1/4 naan bread

Dinner: Pasta with roasted vegetables and garlic bread. Jelly and fruit.

2 glasses of white wine.

Exercise: Rode Ben for an hour this morning walk/trot canter hack.
Rode again in the afternoon and jumped for 25 minutes
Chased my kids around the zoo for 3 hours!

Mood: good
Sleep: Broken sleep as my husband decided to snore!

Sunday:

Breakast: -
Lunch:
Tea: BBQ !! Had a lovely burger ( not in bread), salad ( lettuce) and a portion of wild rice 'surprise' ! also had a few sneaky oven chips, a blob of mayo and reggae reggae sauce.
Bottle of crabbies ginger beer

Exercise.. not alot!:unsure: ( did have a short horse ride though! I havent ridden for years so was fantastic!)

Sunday

Breakfast, hot cross buns and strawberries, yoghurt
Lunch: 3 homemade cookies
Dinner: small pizza, peas,
Snacks: more strawberries, banana, 4 biscuits, packet of crisps, chocolate bar, cereal bar

Exercise: 15 mile bike ride, 10 skipping. Rode horse half an hour bareback mainly trot.

Mood: okay but so tired
Sleep: 5 hours.

Missed a couple of days!

Ran out of bread ( I refuse to shop more than once a week, good way of controlling eating!) but that means breakfast was non existant (toyed with the idea of cereal but didn't have time to relish it!)

Lunch Friday,cooked a half baguette (take and bake type) and had warm with Lancashire cheese. Lunch Saturday Oatmeal biscuits and Gloucestershire cheese (you may well have noticed I have a cheese habit!!)

Evening duck and rice

Saturday day time too busy teaching to have meal ,nibbled cheese, night Fish Pie ( cheat , Sainsburies Finest) Cats had prawns!!

Sunday again teaching , main meal chicken and rice

Weekends are non stop walking!!

Sat and Sun catch up.

Sat

no breakfast
Lunch crisp sandwich, 1/2 bar of choco with OH
Dinner 1/2 pizza, small slice of victoria sponge and 3 mini bakewell tarts

Out with the girls lots of cocktails

1 1/2 hard ride on Chanter all in gallop, canter and walked the end bit to cool off
Schooled another horse for 12 an hour then hacked him for another 1/2

Mood excellent
Sleep crap as always

Sunday

No breakfast
Lunch small sausage roll, 1 bakewell tart, small bit of cake
Dinner combo to share with OH at pub follows by a chicken burger and chips I didn't eat the chips
1 x bakewell tart

Took Ginger SJ and XC training all day.

Mood excellent
Sleep crap again

Yesterday I was bloody awful :\

Breakfast - mc d's big breakfast with an extra sausage

Dinner cheesy chips and THREE twirls through the day

Tea - pasta in creamy mush sauce with ham

Supper - slice of beef with 2 home made Yorkshires :|

Mood - bad! Wasn't feeling well

Sleep - about 5 hours, epi mutt started to fit at 2am

Sunday

(pretty awful)
Breakfast: oat granola with greek yogurt with honey and a small handfull of strawberries and blueberries
Lunch: cheese toastie and diet pepsi (well they were giving the toasties away free at the clear rounds:unsure:)
Dinner: half an Asda half and half combo pizza with cheese on one half and cheese and pepperoni on the other (it wouldn't fit in my freezer so had to be eaten!)
Snack: adsa toffee cornetto type ice cream
Drink: about 1L diluting juice and 1 mango and raspberry rekorderlig cider

Exercise: a 1hour hack in the peeing down rain up the the RC clear rounds mostly in walk with about 15min trotting then a bit of a warm up and jumping 3 rounds (luckily got a lift home!)

Sleep from sat-sunday.... I can't really remember. I think I went to bed quite late (maybe about midnight) and woke up a few times, eventually dragged myself out of bed at 10:30. So maybe around 7 hours.

Mood: good in the morning, grumpy on my hack because Rubic was rather spooky and I was soaked through, really happy at the clear rounds and then the rest of the day was awful. OH was rather quiet and sullen (he is worried about his grandpa who is in hospital and he isn't well himself so not a fab combination) and it really brought me down to earth with a bang after being so happy with Rubic at the jumping. Sunday night was really bad, hence the ice cream and cider.

Weather: very, very wet!

Monday isn't really off to a brilliant start either. I'll start it now and edit it later.

Monday

Breakfast: skipped. I put some toast in the toaster and then decided I couldn't face eating
Lunch: Heinz tomato soup, a small bag of red grapes and a pack of mango, melon and pineapple from asda
Dinner: chicken, mashed potato and steamed veg
Snack: slice of white bread and smooth peanut butter before dinner and a toffee cornetto thing after dinner

Exercise: none really, did some housework for an hour. Rubic has a night off because we were jumping yesterday and have alesson tomorrow which we need to hack to and hack back from!

Sleep: awful, went to bed at about 10:30 got to sleep around 3 but it was very broken, I think I woke up at 4 and 6, got up at 7. Not even 4 hours.

Mood: well I have a headache and I am very, very tired so not happy at all (cheered up in the evening)

Weather: was very rainy first thing but it seems to have cleared and we have bright sunshine now

Last edited:
I kept a food diary on My Fitness pal which you would hate me if I posted. Average daily calories ca 1200 which is what I need to lose some weight.

We who grew up in the war (rationing and healthy eating) are fixed on meat and two veg. You need protein to build muscle for all that exercise. With some oil for brainpower and to ward off depression. So that is what we eat. See eml too. She is the same as us.
But I am shocked at what you younger people eat. You wouldnt feed a horse like that.
Eating too few calorie prompts bingeing and bad sleep. It isnt a moral issue. It is physical. I slept well. Worked hard. No exercise and no horse, but had to travel to London a few times. Doubt if I lost any weight but danger was putting it on after returning from holiday which involved long hours walking.
My week included making 70 blinis with salmon and cream cheese for the end of term party. Baking a new batch of sour dough bread and rolls. I ate three pret a manger sandwiches. Ice cream at the theatre, plus a Mexican meal out and a cold chicken picnic, Pimms and ice cream at polo. Lots of cherries and strawberries. What a happy life.

Skib I am a protein eater by training, being brought up in Scotland sadly my early diet was not brilliant (no offence to Scots but in the 1950's in Scotland frying pan meals were common!!)

Years ago I spent a 'post baby' week at Grayshott Health Spa where I learned what worked for me. Early morning I rode for an hour or so, walked for another hour, had a massage, did exercise classes, had a swimming lesson (still cannot swim!), more exercise classes, steam cabinet or sauna and relaxation class to end the day. The week started with a review by a Doctor of what I wanted to achieve and health check. In that he noticed I had (still have!!) unusually low blood pressure and vetoed any idea of intensive dieting but put me on a high protein diet. Basically I could help myself from the salad and fruit bar at all meals but I was to have at least three good protein sources a day, typically one oily fish one grilled meat, one cheese/egg based. By the end of the week I was bouncing with health and energy.

Since then I have always known that I need a low carb high protein diet, trying to diet without the protein makes me feel ill very quickly.

Last edited:
EML and Skib I do understand what you are saying but my life style and yes it is self inflicted I don't denie that but I would also not change it.

Getting up at 6, working 8-5 with a 45 minute commute each way then riding every night means I get home at around 830 the last thing I want to do is stand in the kitchen and cook. We do eat a lot of carbs but that is because I train so much I need it.

Today
Breakfast biscuits
Small salad
Banana
2 mini bakewell tarts (left over from the weekend)
Dinner 2 x bowls of cereal.

Got in really from lesson.

45 Minute flatwork lesson

Breakfast - banana slim fast

Dinner - chocolate slim fast

Tea - Parmo with onion rings and chips ... It was all going so well :')

Mood - good actually despite the lack of food all day
Exercise - 40 min hack
Sleep - about 7 hours, woke up a few times

I am the master of fairly instant easy food... as I work until 8.30 most evenings I have a simple routine. I am not a keen cook but do like my food!!

Get in feed small animals and switch on oven to heat up. Change out of horse clothes/shower. Put meat ( eg pork chop/ duck leg/good burger) frozen potato ( roasties or skin on wedges etc) and roasting veg bought prechopped into oven tray, drizzle with oil and put in oven. Or just meat to serve with a handful of salad ( I buy Sainsburys growing young leafs for £1, cared for they last three weeks). Pour glass of what you fancy and check emails etc. 30 mins on take out food put on plate and eat.

Pasta is even faster, cook and stir in tuna and other ready to eat things like sweetcorn, stir in a spoonful of fromage frais or similar and eat!!

If you really must ready meals can be great just read the labels...I swear by Sainsburies 'Taste the Difference', fish pie and mousakka are amazing ( again take 30 mins in oven). Supermarket Indian and Chinese are also easy and good eating but check the sugar/fat content!

I was brought up by my Mother who hated cooking, I am not a cook but can produce great meals easily, my record is a 7 course dinner party for multinational clients ( previous incarnation!!!!) produced in an hour after finishing work...no one recognised the shortcuts!!

For some reason I have had no appetite at all today. It's very unlike me and I have had to make myself eat.

Breakfast: Banana
Lunch: Attempted to eat noodles but just couldn't face them.
Dinner: Home made fish pie with naan bread (odd I know but my little boys love naan bread!). Had a medium portion.

Exercise: 2 miles of slow walking on school run. Rode Ben for 50 minutes schooling and then led him for 10 minutes in hand. Did lots of yard jobs.

Sleep: My 3 year old was wide awake at 4am again!!! He hates the warm weather and just cannot settle when it's hot. We both managed a 2 hour sleep this afternoon which was a godsend.

Mood: I had a clear head but was tired through lack of sleep. I so long for sleep!!!

Monday

breakfast:- skip had to go out in a rush as overslept!
Lunch: Pitta bread with mixed salad, onion, potato salad (naughty as full of mayo) and cottage cheese

tea: same and had a low fat fudge yogurt for pud

snack - ppppppick up a penguin.

exercise: only a couple of small walks with the dogs. Need to do a proper good hike tomorrow Ive been bad.

Sleep: havent a clue! but dont feel tired

Mood: good even though have been made to feel annoyed by someone

Last edited:
Breakfast - slim fast shake

Dinner - slim fast shake

Snack - slim fast bar and bag of low cal crisps

Tea - low cal sweet and sour chicken and rice with huge portion of veg on the side!

I have 1 more snack today so will have a banana before bed.

Mood - rubbish been ill all day
Sleep - rubbish was ill all night
Exercise - slow 30 min stroll with the dogs.

Tuesday 2nd July

Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with butter
Lunch: Leftover Fish Pie from dinner last night.
Dinner: Cottage Pie made with quorn served with sweetcorn.
Evening snack: Popcorn.

Sleep: Broken sleep again (up 5 times!!!) but went back to sleep between.
Mood: Good, clear head.

newrider.com