Food aggressive update

Samantha1980

Mar 14, 2005
North Aberdeenshire
Thanks everyone that replied to my food aggressive thread.
While feeding Fern this morning I asked her to go back and wait there untill I entered stable to put feed down. I made her wait for abound 30secs then let her have it. When she was half way through I went up to her and stroked her neck. She pulled a grumpy face then went to swing her bum at me. Before she could turn I shouted in my most scary voice "what the hell do you think your doing" and "Dont you dare" she instantly stopped moving her bum round and faced me again. I went towards her and made her back up. She did go to swing her bum round again but I shouted and waved my arms about. She stood then lowered her head and came up to me. She was licking and chewing but this might well of been because she had a mouthfull of food. I let her come to her food and stroked her a few times then left her in peace. Hopefully this will keep getting better.
Thanks again for all the advice:)

Mighty oaks from tiny acorns and all that.

I know this might sound a daft question, but have you ever told her in such precise terms that her 'haviour was unacceptable?

Sometimes if horses are not told what you want they just behave how they see fit.

Never say to a horse "Don''t do that" without showing them what you do want them to do.

Not a daft question at all. No I have not told her in such a way before. I posted for advice the first time she tried this with hay.
She did try this with her food before so I held her while I fed her and led her past her food, made her wait and stroked her while she ate. When she tried to swing round I just turned her head to me and said no. In hindsight (always a great thing:)) That just prevented it happening rather than stopping it happening. I had also got into a bad habit of just chucking her food down then leaving her.

newrider.com