following on from Trewsers thread

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Would you rug a Traditional Foal.............he is 6 months old, quite a dense coat.............I guess if it turns really wet I will but would prefer to leave au naturelle tbh as rugs and foals equal accidents waiting to happen, lol.

What would you do, or have done ?

Our YOs foal has just got a rug he is probably not quite 4 months old but the weather here is cold wet and windy and the field is quite exposed. Mother is a Clydie x cob and sire is the showjumping stallion Hemmingway. Foal is very long legged but also quite chunky.

I rugged a 9 month old Welsh D in March when I bought him. He moved to a colder part of the country and went from inside (rugged?) to outside so I had to really. He is unrugged this year so far.

I would see how he gets on, wetness and wind will be your problem but as long as he is healthy and fed plenty he should be fine.

Provided there is plenty of shelter and he has lots of grass or hay to stoke his engine then I wouldn't rug him.

Walter wasnt rugged as a foal and he was out in some serious snow as a baby. Last year we has a few babies on my yard and only one was rugged. He had arrived as a 7week old without mum and adopted by ym. He was only rugged as he hadnt quite caught up. If baby seems happy and hasn't been rugged before I don't see any desparate need to rug him :)

newrider.com