Following on from Trewsers rant about horseflys....

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I have just discovered the little feffers can actually bite you through a cotton T shirt!:eek: I never knew they could do that, I had a new gel citronella wrist band thingy on, helped with the flies - but the wretched horse fly got me on my shoulder through my clothing, didn't know they could do that - I did manage to swat him and kill him, but not before he had a good drink of my blood!:mad:

I have just discovered the little feffers can actually bite you through a cotton T shirt!:eek: I never knew they could do that, I had a new gel citronella wrist band thingy on, helped with the flies - but the wretched horse fly got me on my shoulder through my clothing, didn't know they could do that - I did manage to swat him and kill him, but not before he had a good drink of my blood!:mad:

I feel your pain - literally!!!!! I have been bitten twice through my jodhs!!!!!! Nasty nasty hateful gits. That After Bite stuff that Domane mentioned really helps. Hope yours goes away soon! OH has acquired one on his arm, it followed us into the caravan.
The girls are sick of them too - they really are brutal this summer.

They can also bite through fairly thick denim breeches!! Spec cotton t-shirt would be a piece of cake!

We are in Devon!! Just your every day horseflies - EVIL!!!

Fellow livery and I ride out very early mornings - 5.30! I hate horseflies and even normal flies. Tobes cannot wait to come in to his stable this last week - today I collected him at 11.15am and turned him out after work at 6pm. No being cross because he had been in so long which is MOST unlike him. Just evil out there with the humidity and he loves to come in and have a relax out of the flies and have a large haynet to eat! Actually, I think he dozes more than eats - clearly a very tough life being out 24/7 in the summer!!!

Oh yeah, I've been bitten through jeans and jods. Had to take a hay fever tablet last night as I was itching so much - such lovely blessed relief!

OMG sjp1 - are these the blighters that I have heard of around the New Forest area? How do you cope?:eek:
Well Arns hates them but is slightly more accepting than he was when he first came here 5 years ago. Then he would practically lose his head and want you to pick him up and carry him home as fast as possible! These days with the addition of cashel bug armour and limiting times and routes he is much better.
Corry on the other hoof doesn't bother about them in the least. She came to us from Dartmoor where they also have crab flies, though I think they are known as flat flies there.
Arns tends to take his crab flies to Corry and scrape them off on to her. What a gentleman!

newrider.com