Following on from the horse owner anxiety thread...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What things have you overcome in relation to both ridden and non ridden aspects of horse ownership - ie, things that perhaps made you worry and be anxious once upon a time but are now a thing of the past?
For me personally, I no longer get my knickers in a complete twist about having to walk the girls anywhere around the estate. Sounds simple doesn't it?! But, I used to have a silly fear that Storm would get away from me and immediately head for the nearest cattle grid whereby she would become tangled and have to be pts on the spot:skull: Yes, she was quite a handful at times when she first came here, but my vice like grip and rigid manner probably contributed to the problem! I think it has only taken me 6 years to get the relaxed walk and demeanour around her....................:smile: I had no idea of the power of body language - and the negativity that could rub off on them.
(Watch this, next week when they go down the front field she'll get loose, crash into Rumplestiltskins fence and show me up good and proper!:wub:)
So what things have you realised aren't worth keeping you awake at night for?

Ridden wise its canter. I used to avoid it and hold on.

A change of saddle and a realisation that I've sat spooks that take us from fast forwards to fast backwards makes me realise that spooks aren't and issue, and the saddle change and vast improvement in Joys way of going and transitions makes her canter to comfortable.

Horse care wise. Its a realisation that no matter his dreadful Hampshire gets, Joy never needs rugging and I don't need to worry about her.

Hacking next to ditches and rivers.

I used to have a horse who had no self preservation, she would happily take me down a ditch no matter how deep and in the end frightened me something chronic. I eventually decid to sell her but she came in with a weird lameness and ended up being PTS.

When I moved the horses to where I am now it became apparent my quick ride had a river running beside it and I just had to get over it.

My main anxiety non ridden was the whole care side of the horses because I had been on a yard where the YO had more control over your own horses than you did so when I decided to break away from that it hit me after I moved that I wouldn't be able to do it alone, she had spent so long telling me I wouldn't cope alone that I really thought that was the case. 7 years down the line I think I have done ok I have happy, healthy horses.

Deep down I knew I had learnt enough whilst working there but she had planted tht seed of doubt after I left.

My main anxiety non ridden was the whole care side of the horses because I had been on a yard where the YO had more control over your own horses than you did so when I decided to break away from that it hit me after I moved that I wouldn't be able to do it alone, she had spent so long telling me I wouldn't cope alone that I really thought that was the case. 7 years down the line I think I have done ok I have happy, healthy horses.

Deep down I knew I had learnt enough whilst working there but she had planted tht seed of doubt after I left.

Wow, that is so mean of her:devil: Ha, but you must be pleased you managed:smile:

Not exactly overcome it but got round it. I don't like horses in trailers, i am a nuisance to travel rather than the horse!
Lorry everyone for me. Just don't like trailers. No reason, just won't take her anywhere in one.

Oh yes, none of the people there now bar a couple are the girls who were there when I was we all left one by be because we were sick of how controlling she was and how she somtimes treated the horses. Every one of us was told we wouldn't cope and we all are doing use fine, most of us with more than double the horses we left there with lol.

I try to follow my saying "never sow a seed of doubt it grows into a weed, but instead sow a seed of hope that grows into a flower"
In other words lift people up don't tread on them.

I try to follow my saying "never sow a seed of doubt it grows into a weed, but instead sow a seed of hope that grows into a flower"
In other words lift people up don't tread on them.

Shame my old boss doesn't live by that lol, unfortunately most of her fun comes from putting everyone down, she won't change. At least though I know nothing that was said about or to me was true and I can happily stick 2 fingers up and say I did it lol.

I love you trewsers:dance:

I am a little back to front. As a child I would have done anything, I had dreams of doing the National, jumping the puissance, Badminton etc.

I had riding school lessons and the poor horses could never go fast enough, I loved those days when some horse or pony would take off with me, aha chance for some freedom and fun, maybe they would cart me of so far we could stick in a jump or two.

I quickly always became the riding school favorite cos I could ride anything, or would at least have a go.

Old age crept up unfortunately and the responsibilities of life without having the chance to fulfil my dreams. Maybe just as well I would probably be dead or crippled now lol.

These days I am a careful rider, very capable still but I have the worries. Just wish I could send them somewhere they belong and get on with it. I do have the odd moment where I will go out and think 'f..k the world, f..k the traffic and go for it. Me and Cherie together, up the banks, down the ditches, overe the jumps etc etc. Life is so different these days though, when I get back I worry about what might have happened:frown:

I am a little back to front. As a child I would have done anything, I had dreams of doing the National, jumping the puissance, Badminton etc.

I had riding school lessons and the poor horses could never go fast enough, I loved those days when some horse or pony would take off with me, aha chance for some freedom and fun, maybe they would cart me of so far we could stick in a jump or two.

I quickly always became the riding school favorite cos I could ride anything, or would at least have a go.

Old age crept up unfortunately and the responsibilities of life without having the chance to fulfil my dreams. Maybe just as well I would probably be dead or crippled now lol.

These days I am a careful rider, very capable still but I have the worries. Just wish I could send them somewhere they belong and get on with it. I do have the odd moment where I will go out and think 'f..k the world, f..k the traffic and go for it. Me and Cherie together, up the banks, down the ditches, overe the jumps etc etc. Life is so different these days though, when I get back I worry about what might have happened:frown:

For me the big thing over the years has been solo hacking. It's only over the last few weeks that I have honestly and truly started enjoying being out solo! Moët is more keen to work in an outline when solo, can actually get some schooling done (wouldn't do it on a hack generally but our school flooded).

One thing I haven't fully fully overcome is cantering in a school. I still feel nervous doing it. Will work on it more next summer when I'm back in the saddle after baby is here!

I don't think you are alone in that careful riding - even though you have a horsey past / childhood - I've read so many people in the same boat. You need to big your riding skills up to yourself!! (Easier said than done, and I hate riding in traffic too)

For me the big thing over the years has been solo hacking. It's only over the last few weeks that I have honestly and truly started enjoying being out solo! Moët is more keen to work in an outline when solo, can actually get some schooling done (wouldn't do it on a hack generally but our school flooded).

One thing I haven't fully fully overcome is cantering in a school. I still feel nervous doing it. Will work on it more next summer when I'm back in the saddle after baby is here!

Solo hacking is a great achievement - I did small ones with madam last summer, hope to do more this year.

Riding Victory again without worrying about him rearing since he reared and went over on me :redcarded:

Took me a good 2 years but now I am fine and will even pull him up hard if he gets over excited without worrying he's gonna go up.

Also kicking him on when he's napping.... ever since he reared I am terrified that napping and going backwards means he's gonna go up next. I would rather turn around than kick him on. Now I just kick on!!

Also will ask for rein back where previously again backwards in my brain would induce him to rear.

Very proud of myself for overcoming it:happy:

I know the reason for him rearing so avoid hacking anywhere that there might be bicycles :wink:

Hacking next to ditches and rivers.

I used to have a horse who had no self preservation, she would happily take me down a ditch no matter how deep and in the end frightened me something chronic. I eventually decid to sell her but she came in with a weird lameness and ended up being PTS.

When I moved the horses to where I am now it became apparent my quick ride had a river running beside it and I just had to get over it.

Ooh what a horrible lady :furious:

Well done you for overcoming that poisonous woman :biggrin: It is hard when you feel or people are telling you that you can't do something.

Oh dear, I could be here for a very long time......
On the ground
1. Hoof lifting
2. Leading outside of the field
3. Tacking up

In the saddle
1. Mounting first of all in the school and now in open spaces
2. Walking in and out of the school
3. Trotting in and out of the school
4. Cantering in and out of the school
5. Solo hacking
6. Hacking with others
7. Dealing with spooky behaviour

Pretty much every aspect of riding! And I guess the confidence comes and goes so I will regress slightly on some aspects but feel much better these days. My horse isn't a loopy idiot like I originally thought, just needs a more confident mummy!

Picking up and picking out madams feet...

Putting rugs on her...

Grooming her...

All things I couldn't do and was frightened of doing due to her kicking and biting. None of it bothers me at all now!

Still have a fear of her going in a ditch/hole - she likes to demonstrate she is a mountain pony and cart off over bad terrain...

Also have an issue cantering her in enclosed spaces - because she is unbalanced and rushes and I find it hard to corner like that

newrider.com