Foaling times of the year

SarahC

Jul 13, 2004
East Midlands
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This may be a really stupid question, but I was wondering.....are there specific times of the year for foals to be born...what I mean is, would you generally find that foals are born in 2 or 3 specific months of the year?? Or are they just born year round?

The dentist has been today and said that my girl is definitely around 6 1/2....the holes in her side front teeth are still there and he says that these disappear in gradients and are no longer there when a horse reaches 7 and thats probably not going to be until nearer the end of this year. My friend then said that she was a 'late foal'....

Up until now, I have always given her date of birth as 1st April...but apparently thats not right!!

No major deal, just curious! I'm not even sure of how long mares are pregnant for!!

S

mares are pregnant for 11 months, and normally people (not racehorses, they are a different kettle of fish) want them born march-june. much earlier, and the weather is rotten and baby doesn't get ot go out and play - much later and mum is pregnant during the hottest time of the year and that is miserable for her, and flies are annoying, and also you wean (normally done at about 6 motnhs) in the worst of winter.

we generally aim for april or may births, and then wean in november so that winter is not really arrived. then our babies stay stabled overnight until christmas for handling and life lessons, and are a bit mroe established with eating and the stress of weaning is over by the time the weather is really bad.

newrider.com