Foaling an overweight mare!!!

emlybob

Jun 3, 2006
Hi
Not sure i have put this in the right place but if not can someone please move it.
At work i have a purebred cleveland bay broodmare who is huge!!! She is due to foal on April 19th but she has a few problems and i wondered if anyone could help.
Before xmas she did her check ligament on one of her forelegs and was on box rest etc, etc. Anyway not long after xmas she did what i thought was the same injury on her other front leg. After a months box rest it looked no better, so as she is never going to run the grand national i put her out to grass again. However another onth on the leg is still no better and i have brought her back in on box rest. I believe the problem is being caused by excess weight but surely i can't diet her when she is so close to her foaling date. Once foaled we will change her diet and try to get her to shift some pounds.
My problem is i don't want to have a mare with foal at foot on box rest but also don't wanna make the mare's leg any worse. AAAaaaahhhhhhhhhh, what do i do?

Whats your vets thoughts? I would probably try some gentle hand walking for the minute to try and keep her active but not running round like a loon (so hopefully not causing any more damage) but if it is ligaments they can often need more than a months rest to heal so I would want confirmation of the problem from a vet.
I would agree cutting her ration at this stage doesn't sound like a good plan, but if she is that overweight it could make the birth more difficult.

cutting her ration could also oput the foal at risk whilst still suckling - i agree, talk to your vet; an exercise plan is ALWAYS more effective than a feeding plan alone - no diet works without exercise.
it would be an unwise idea to do anything without consulting your vet and a nutritionist first (such as Dengie, Spilelrs or Baileys for example) - the nutritionist will know exactly what to do.

good luck, i hope all goes well!
x

Had a chat with the vets today. His opinion is to turn her out again as at this stage she is so big and is not likely to gallop about, she's not that type anyway. An exercise plan would be a great idea. But she is a brood mare, doesn't get ridden and doesn't fit through the door on the walker!!!! Also at this stage of pregnancy that is not a good idea to stress her.

very true; just try to keep her healthy and happy until she can be fittened up again, even by just gentle walking in-hand, or loose schooling/lunging/ground work/T-Team exercises/long-reining, etc.
:)

newrider.com