Flymask/bug question & update

LMS

Sep 14, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Ahhhh spring is in full swing, gorgeous weather, new green grass & bugs! This equals to itchy moulting horses, dried up lumpy clay paddocks, Houdini horses that appear in your front lawn!

First my question: what type of flymasks do you guys like to use? I've tried the full face one by Absorbine but 1 fly would always find a way in & drive poor Heidi bonkers! I want to try the regular fly mask that has mesh ears as well. Hopefully that'll work, otherwise I have to figure out what product I can use in her ears. They're full on little black biting flies. I put regular horse bug repellent in them but I imagine that it must sting a bit. I've tried "SWAT" with fair success. The bugs don't seem to bother Ariel's ears as bad though.

An update on the horses now;) : with all the talk about wondering how long it takes for a horse to bond, I wished I'd had my camera this morning. And also the talk about respect: wished I'd had it a couple of mornings ago.

Bonding & respect: Well now I know that Ariel is finally settled & happy. This past year, she has shown herself to be more placid. Everytime Heidi would get lose, Ariel would whinny but would not get herself into a frenzy. A couple of mornings ago, I came home & found Heidi on the wrong side of the fence, near the road just standing there. No problem catching her, Ariel happily munching on tiny blades of grass inside the paddock. Three poop piles, so I knew Heidi had made her escape quite a while ago. Brought her to another part of the fence, took it down, she walked over the electric fence, trusting me. At the other end of the paddock I found where she had taken down the bottom strand.

That had been the easiest "grab lose horse/put back in field" experience ever! Both horses were so calm.

This morning, while I was spreading some hay around the paddock, Heidi kept following me like a shadow: she was itchy! I had time to kill so after a few good scratches on both sides, I went & got my grooming kit from the house. When I came back, both mares (at opposite sides of the paddock) saw me & came wandering over & stood patiently one on each side of me!

I groomed Heidi & after a while Ariel decided it was enough & came & took her place. She actually enjoyed it! I couldn't believe it! After 3 yrs, Ariel is such a different horse now, she actually enjoys & seeks out human companionship, she's finally at peace & I'm her human now. I wish I new how to find her previous owner to let her know.

The new office is coming along slowly & looking good.

Health wise, I went for an EMG testing at the hospital yesterday. It's quite interesting, there are three parts of testing to find out if my vertigo was linked to my migraines. The technician is convinced that it is which is great news because I started some different meds (apo-amitryptilin) & this time are actually working! So this means that I don't have to stop teaching (we've all noticed a change for the better in this department) & I feel more confident about taking my exam next month.

So one more MRI to go through & still waiting for the arthroscopy.

:)

Oh forgot to add: This month is Heidi's birthday:D She turned 13yrs old & she's been with me for 9yrs now & I just love her to bits!:D

nice to hear how you and your horses are getting on.

i like the horseware rambo fly hats, the ear material stops the midges get in and as my horse has sensitive skin and rubs easily, the fur around the edges helps brilliantly

Kia looks like a medieval horse with all his gear on in the summer.

I have a weatherbeeta fly mask and a best of horse flyrug and both really help im against the flies/midges and he suffers from swwetitch so these definately make him more comfy!!!

Here they are
Lookitme.jpg

Nikki xxxxx

Thanks Connie & Nik-N-Kia
Hehehe nice medieval horse indeed!:D

Anyone else has success with a different flymask or bug product for ears?

newrider.com