Fly/Sweet Itch rugs

Kittycat

May 24, 2007
Cambs
I want to get Bobbi a rug to try and help prevent sweet itch. I know she gets irritated at the base of her tail and thought a rug is probably the best prevention. The Boett ones come highly recommended but I was hoping to try and find something a *little* cheaper!:p

I have found three that look good, the Rambo Protector, Rambo Fly Buster and Pessoa Sweet Itch. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other recommendations? I like the idea of the detatchable hood, not sure if the Pessoa one is removeable though?

Any tips gratefully received!:)

With vol i found derby houses own fly rug superb last year for fly protection.

Searched for them the other day to get the boys one each for this year and can't seem to spot them anymore so i have bought them both the Mark Todd Ultra Fly Combo as it seems to give good coverage while i also need UV protection for Vols photosensitivity.

Always tempted by snuggy hoods tho :)

hiya,

ive got a shetland mare who is affected bt sweet itch, i have got 3 fly rugs, 2 derby house & an amigo fly rug too, i change them every few days and only wash them in non bio powder. Ive also had midight on a mix of herbs from Natural horse supplements, its called herbal coat & skin and is for sweet itch sufferers. I have tried everything with her and she is really fussy but loves these herbs added to her feed, her coat is much less scurfy than before and very shiny i also use calmine oily cream on any sore bits as some of the other thing irritate her and im trying to keep chemicals out of the picture

Kirsteen :)

have you considered the de meulenkamp, more expensive than the others but cheaper than boett!!! cant recommend it enough,

newrider.com