Fly Rugs

Parisexxx

Aug 16, 2004
Essex
Hi everyone ok so now the weather is warming up (YAYYY!!!) i need to start putting my girls fly rug on as she gets very bad sweetitch in summer:mad:

Ok question is shall i leave it on 24/7. As in she is out during the day but in stable at night. Will she be uncomftable with it on all time?

Parise x

You might find she doesn't need it in her stable for now, or even all summer. I've known ponies live out 24/7 in summer with one on all the time without it causing further problems.

I would take it off twice a day though to check she's alright underneath it, I know they can rub themselves really raw with sweetitch.

I have a DeMeulenkamp Sweet itch rug my horse is in 24/7 for the summer. She seems OK with it. I take it off totally when I ride and partially every day to check she is OK underneath. I say partially as it is a tube neck and the rug goes over her head to come off. I like to minimise the amount I take it off over her ears as I fear it pulls on them a bit even when I am very careful.

Definately leave it on 24/7, the blasted midges will get in the stable :mad:. I hate midges! Mines gone on now & it will only come off to ride or on very windy days.

If you can pick the time of day when you ride then try to avoid late evening or early morning as that's when the midges are at their worst & use lots & lots of fly spray.

Leave it on 24/7 it won't be effective otherwise.
Even if you leave it off for 10 minutes, the midges still get there and the poor horse is itching for hours.

Take it off at least once a day preferably mid day because that's when theres not that many about. Never at dawn or dusk, not even in the stable. But a good groom mid day to give her a scratch is enough.

She's probably not as comfy in the rug but she'd be ten times worse without it you just have to think about it like that. Unless you put veils all round your stable including the windows and any gaps etc. Worked for a friend of mine.

Ok thanks. Feel so mean puttin it on when its nice out in full blown summer as id love her to be naked like a normal horse!!!! But its for her own good.

I used to take it off at night last year but she got it really bad so it must be the midges gettin to her in stable.

Thanks everyone x

I know how you feel, mine hates it but he just itches for hourse otherwise. I just have to force myself to think of the pain and discomfort he probably feels with the non stop itching.

If you were going to take the rug off I wouldn't do it in the night because they prefer it when it's cooler. If you really wanted to give her some frredom the hottest part of the day is best.

My boy just had his sweetitch hoody put on this morning and I plan on leaving it on him till the flies disappear which i think was about october last year. I'll only take it off to ride or check him once every other day, put more fly spray on him before it goes back on again and fly cream on the problem areas and around the edge of where the rug finishes. He's also going to be getting fly free in his food and immuna therapy.

Yes i suppose being really ichy is worse! Another question, if i do all the measures now to prevent the sweetitch starting, eg rug, fly spray and supplement in feed, when full blown summer comes along will it still be enough x

newrider.com