fly rugs for midges?

No, your bog-standard fly sheets don't offer good enough protection from midges. I recommend the rambo sweetitch hoody, which if fab. Or if you are on a budget- the pagony rug. Though it is easy ripped- my horse managed to split the neck right open on that and she's not exactly a rug-wrecker.

Salsa is a rug-wrecker. I bought him a Rhinegold fly sheet (the only one the tack shop had in at the time) in 2006 because he was reacting badly to the bites, and he had ripped it by the end of the day, and it was in pieces within a couple of days. Total waste of £22.50 :rolleyes:

I vowed that he would never have another fly sheet, and last year he got through the summer pretty well. However, this year he was so badly bitten that he looked like Quasimodo, so I relented and bought a Shires Maxiflow combo for £35, inc postage, from Essex Saddlery. I am happy to report that not only was it still on him after 24 hours, there wasn't a rip to be seen (**touch wood**) and it really seems to be helping. It has a belly flap as well, which is excellent because his tum tends to be one of the worst places for bites.
So I'm really pleased with it. It wasn't ridiculously expensive, and hopefully it'll last not only this summer but for a few summers to come.

thank you - does the shires one stop midges though - or just flys?!
we have killer midges round us - worse than the flys.... and a lot of the mesh rugs seem to just be for flys - too large holes for the midges so don't help...

No, your bog-standard fly sheets don't offer good enough protection from midges. I recommend the rambo sweetitch hoody, which if fab. Or if you are on a budget- the pagony rug. Though it is easy ripped- my horse managed to split the neck right open on that and she's not exactly a rug-wrecker.

Ditto the Pagony, though to be fair I found it fairly hardwearing.

I'd recommend the HY Guardian rug, RRP is about £45, I bought it off ebay came with a free fly mask, it's similar to the Rambo Sweet Itch Hoody, but it is cheaper.

I look after the biggest rug wrecker there is he broke his last one in 6 hours, but he has yet to damage this even though he's had a good try. It has ear loops so is alot more secure round the neck and lots of straps again very secure has a belly patch with three straps, in the tail flap there is also an elasticated band for the tail so it moves with it and it is huge. It is very closely woven mesh too like you were looking for.

Theres complete coverage, it's very secure and is a bargain for what it is, its got UV protection too, I can't afford a Rambo Hoody (17 y/o Mcdonalds worker :p ) so if your on a budget or whatever it's brilliant, I'd say it's just as good as Rambo's. But the best ones are the Boetts and Snuggy hoods. Poor Willow would kill me if I put them on him though he hates rugs, spec close fitting ones like them :D

Last edited:
i have the weatherbeeta fly rug and found that it does keep the midges off (and the dreaded horseflies ;)). bits that aren't covered the midges still get at though and if your horse is very reactive then there are gaps (such as when the horse bends down to graze). a boett or the solva fly rugs would be better for a sensitive horse.
i use the hood things (lycra vest type thing) under the rug to stop it rubbing and that gives extra protection over the face especially if i use a mask too :p

I have a Weatherbeeta too with a mask. I find they get his legs especially at the back of the thigh, his nose where the mask ends etc and a few midges manage to bite through the rug.

He comes out in hives though it doesn't bother him, they are not itchy or sore they just look awful and I worry if they are where his tack goes.
He is on box rest, no turnout just ridden in walk so he is a sitting target for every fly.

He hates rugs of any sort and I feel terrible forcing him to wear them.
So I am exploring other options as well as rugs before I try a Boett or de meulenkamp.

we have three in rambo sweetitch hoody we find them just as good as the boet but cheaper ,two of our ponies with sweetitch are fells both have long manes etc xx

fly rugs for midges??????

here's my midge, Harold wearing his fly rug. He hates the hood part though.

midge.jpg

newrider.com