Fly rugs for big necked horses?

Seabiscuit

Nov 14, 2006
I'm looking for a new fly rug for my horse, who gets eaten alive in the summer by the mozzies. I can't afford and don't think he'd be happy in anything like a boett, so I'm looking for a normal fly rug, strong, with neck, tail and belly covered. Problem being he has a big neck and chest, so "cheaper" rugs don't tend to fit him.

I quite like the look of the new Mark Todd Ultra Fly rugs but am not sure if the neck would fit - don't suppose anyone has one? Can anyone recommend a good fly rug with a generous neck? Thanks!:)

Why don't you think he'd be happy in a Boett or similar? The trouble with most normal fly rugs is that the mozzies bite through the so they're of rather limited use. If you're worried about pulling it over his head then you're probably worrying unneccessarily as most horses seem to accept it far better than you'd expect - the fabric is slightly see through so they aren't blindfolded. In fact the biggest problem I usually have with Jim, who I was sure would throw a fit about it, is getting him to wait rather than shoving his head into the wrong bits of rug before I'm ready for him!

My horse has got a rambo sweetitch hoodie even though she doesn't have sweetitch she gets bitten really badly by the mozzies too. It is really hard wearing and although it was about £85 I have saved so much on flyspray which just seems to evaporate after a couple of hours. I did have a meshy style weatherbeeta one first which was only about £50 but it was not as good as this rambo one by miles. it got threads pulled in it and slipped back so I got rid of it and got this one which will be on its 3rd summer this year and is still in good condition. Rambo style rugs seem to have plenty of room.

Why don't you think he'd be happy in a Boett or similar?

The problem is Bran is quite a warm horse, even in the winter. I don't have any experience with Boetts but they appear to be very close fitting and I was worried about him getting too warm, which will lead to him getting itchy. Also my funds can't stretch to a Boett at the moment.

He doesn't have sweet itch but does have a slight itch in the summer....we've been down the vet route with it which was inconclusive, but we think it's a combination of him getting hot, coat changes and flies. So far this spring, when usually I'd be turning him out naked, I've been keeping him covered with his lightweight turnout and a fly neck cover, and it seems to be working. Obviously this isn't ideal because it's getting milder all the time, so would like something lighter.

Thanks for the rambo recommendations...someone on our yard is getting one so I'll try it on Bran to check the fit.

I have a Premier Equine sweet itch rug for Tia (who has a guge chest and neck) and it fits really well on the neck. I have looked on the website for another one, as I use it for keeping her clean at shows, and I can't find it - I hope they're still doing them.

I'll check for that one....anyone use Rambo Protectors? They look similar to sweet itch hoodies but don't have the bit that goes over the ears...and are slightly cheaper (around £60).

At the mo I think it'll either be trying a rambo or a mark todd (the new ones have elastic at the bottom of the neck so that they don't pull when the horse is grazing). Any other suggestions welcome however!

The money I can understand, they are ruddy expensive! I use the DeMeulenkamp which is a little bit cheaper but if you can get away with a cheaper rug I don't blame you - I would if I could. Although they're close fitting I don't find horses overheat in the Boetts or DeMs, in fact I find them better in that way than a lot of looser fitting fly rugs.

newrider.com