fly rug question

michelle c

dieting! 8 pounds to go!!
Oct 17, 2004
england
Visit site
i have a pony who gets bitten bad by fly's, i was wanting to put a fly rug on her but she would be left for up to five days with it on because i can only get up on weekends and occasionally through the week! my question is, when it rains would she get rubded by the rug because it is not waterproof?

Your pony should be checked on daily, what if something bad :eek: happened to her at the start of the week, she would have to suffer for another 5 days until you got there?

someone else keeps their horse in the same field and they are up every day! they keep an eye on the horses but i cant expect them to take her rug off every day to check her and i dont really know them! she has had a rug on all winter and somwetimes went 6 days with one on and it has caused her no problems, its just i thought if water gets in between the sheet and her it might rub :(

Most fly rugs are designed to be worn 24 hours in all weathers so in theory there shouldn't be a problem. I would make sure that it is well fitting and then give it a go. If it does end up rubbing her then stop using it.

Dolly wears hers 24/7 from April through til about October. I take it off to ride/groom, and if it gets caked in mud but certainly don't remove it every day.

newrider.com